Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. A few years ago I bought this spray oil that I coated all the metal parts on my bike with prior to putting it in my shed. When i pulled it out in spring and hosed it off it looked like new. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. I also use fogging oil but this stuff is specifically for coating the bike (or whatever you're trying to protect). It had a tackiness to it so it was great protection and didn't run off over time. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I need to buy more :-/

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Ya didn't save the can did ya?

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya didn't save the can did ya?
funny thing about that. I left it outside one season and the label turned to mush over winter. I'm going to stop by the hardware store where I bought it and see if they'll know. i found it by accident initially so maybe I will again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You might want to look for 'overspray mask.' There are several kinds, but it's a spray on/wash off product that keeps paint overspray (clever, eh?) from settling on parts you don't want painted, but are too far from the painted area to be worth masking with paper/tape.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I just use WD-40. It was specifically designed to protect the bare aluminum surfaces of stored aircraft from moisture induced corrosion, it leaves a long lasting film, but can still be easily washed off. It also protects steel parts from rust.

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I was thinking about wd40 but I didn't know if if would eventually run off. This stuff was almost like an invisible glove. It'll be inside so the wd should do it but I'll look into overspray mask as well. Thanks for that tip too. That stuff will come in handy for some projects and I didn't know it was available:smiley_th

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! that seems even better since you can put it on the plastic and rubber parts as well?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
That Mask spray sounds like wonderful stuff,, bookmarked it !! Thanks Hot Rod Hippie.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Me...

In my Harley and Hotrod days, I used to use Simonize paste wax, watered down. Daub it on lightly, then spring just buff off...prolly them new fangled instant spreay waxes would work too. What youre looking to do, is make a barrier between outside air/moisture and the metal to prevent oxydation. A can of pig fat will do same, but hell to remove. And those who are gunners, know that old weapons or armory stock always had a coating placed on em...I believe it was parafin wax cut with alcohol, but could be wrong....mighta been beeswax in the old days...
Dave, you bailin already ???? ...heck bro, was 75 here today ! Guess I'll be comin to your place for Thanksgiving then, lol....

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol, pig fat, ROTFL again Wolfie. Ah no way man, not bailin. I'll go till snow probly (if I can find some chaps for a good price). Need to find the longer gloves soon too. Today was beautiful and the past weekend was hot. Took my friend's kid for a 2 hour ride up through Gloucester along the coast on Sunday. She's been waitin' all summer and loved it. Now she wants one, lol. Thanks for the info too man. Gonna be laughin' about the pig fat for a while. Some things just hit me funny..

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I missed this post before. Well, Neither of these look familiar but they do exactly what I bought the other stuff for so thanks Roach.... Although Knife's suggestion for Pam is interesting, cause then I could collect it in spring and cook with it that night. Always good to save a buck ;)

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Well here in West Texas that PAM would go along good with cooking the whole bike in this hot area. Ponders... what parts would fall off first.... just kidding guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
rust prevention

Sounds a lot like this stuff. It has a fish oil, lanolin and wax component. I'll betcha it's the same kinda stuff that is on a new rotor when you buy it.

http://www.knockout-rust.com.au/

Now that I think about it . . . . it also sounds a lot like cosmoline. That's that stuff used to protect old firearms and ammunition.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
A while back, I read a story of one of those classic "barn finds"....in this case, it was a vintage 1975 Honda CB550 found in immaculate condition, that had been sitting, covered, in a barn...for decades.

Why was it in such great shape, you may ask?

Well, whoever put the bike away was smart enough to spray it down with WD-40 before throwing the cover over it...

So, if all else fails, you could use WD-40....then use WD-40 again later to break the original up and wipe it all off...

Let us know what you finally end up using--and how it worked for you....:smiley_th

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks will do. I just questioned the wd40 cause of the rubber parts. Still haven't gotten to that hw store yet but I'll let you know.
Well here in West Texas that PAM would go along good with cooking the whole bike in this hot area. Ponders... what parts would fall off first.... just kidding guys.
Old hip... in my case the first part to fall off in that heat would be the owner ;)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Another option...

....nuther option is to drain all the gas and bring it into yer bedroom for storage....heh, I used to bring my Harley into motel rooms at night during long trips....*weg*

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I love WD-40, best hand cleaner I know of, and they say it's good for arthritis, but I'm not sure about that... I never use it on metal except as a cleaner... Another name it goes by is "Gunsmith's Friend"...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts