Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys being new to th VN world and never having ridden a cruiser before is the suspension on them soft and spongy, I took the bike out today to see how it ran after doing the carbs battery plugs airfilters oil change and stuff and it seemed very bouncy on the rear end, I got back and stripped the forks and replaced the seals that should help as one side was leaking, as I say it may be normal and just because I'm used to my Fazer, what are your thoughts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
crappy stock shocks

These stock shocks are total shyte !. No adjustment or FA. Riding two up is a nightmare with them. I have just ordered a pair of new ones off ebay,i will let you know what they are like when i get them. They are MDI or something like that and are £55.95 plus p&p. ALL VN 750 STOCK SHOCKS ARE SHYTE.:hitanykey

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These stock shocks are total shyte !. No adjustment or FA. Riding two up is a nightmare with them. I have just ordered a pair of new ones off ebay,i will let you know what they are like when i get them. They are MDI or something like that and are £55.95 plus p&p. ALL VN 750 STOCK SHOCKS ARE SHYTE.:hitanykey
Hi Rev the shocks on mine have an air valve and 4 numbers for adjustment, yes let me know what those shocks are like I may have to invest :smiley_th

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Rev the shocks on mine have an air valve and 4 numbers for adjustment, yes let me know what those shocks are like I may have to invest :smiley_th
yes,,4 setting and air valve !,,you got crappy stock shocks there !!...lol. will let you know what shocks are like when arrive,,hopefully tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
How much you weigh?

Yes the stock shocks are crap, but given you have an 86, I'd say they sound wore out. Did you try adding any air to them? (don't use a high pressure air hose, use a hand pump)

Fill each side with about 10% of your weight....(if they still hold air)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Can't complain at all about my stock shocks. I put 28 pounds of air in each shock, 3 setting for 2 up, 2 setting for solo. Rides very good. 14,000 miles on the bike 2001.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Been reviewing the Progressive site tonight and now remember that the 412 series is the most economical at $299.95 for each shock, either standard or heavy duty.
Wow, $600 bucks for new shocks.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/metric/412series/index.html

CORRECTION POSTED FEB 18.
THE PRICE QUOTED IN THEIR CHECK OUT IS FOR A PAIR OF SHOCKS, NOT INDIVIDUAL PIECES!
SO THE SET OF SERIES 412 IS $299.95

·
Registered
33 Posts
Keep a check on ebay, I put Harley shocks on mine, new take offs from a new bike, paid $70 I think. People allways changing Harley shocks, got 11.5 inch ones to lower the bike for the wife, no problems so far.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah do check ebay quite a lot but over here its more about sports bikes than cruiser we don't get the supply like you do in the USA :smiley_th

·
Registered
87 Posts
ebay usually starts to improve in March when people really start riding again. I've had loads of parts for my VN from it. Mid summer's the best time, people have had time to decide what they want to change on their bike after a few months of riding.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I put a pair of Progressive 416 air shocks on my Goldwing, so my daughter and I could both ride on it, The original shocks were totally worn out, and would not hold air. With out combined weight, it completely bottomed out the shocks. They were not cheap. $320. No way would I spend that much for shocks for the Vulcan 750, because I do not consider it appropriate for 2 up riding, and my daughter agrees.

I weigh 220 pounds, and have never had an issue with the Vulcan 750s suspension while riding solo. Yes it is a bit mushy, but it is not a sport bike. I use it for a touring bike. Most of my riding is done on the highway, and I have never had the shocks bottom out on me. I actually enjoy the smooth soft ride. Part of the credit I'm giving the seat may actually be the suspension, but mine is very comfortable. With something tied to what looks like it might be a passenger seat but actually isn't, as a backrest, the Vulcan feels like a recliner on wheels. It just eats up the miles, while insulating you from the road. I guess it depends on what you use it for what kind of suspension you would want.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Jerry unfortunately for me the roads in the uk and especially out of the town where i live the only maintenance they get is a lorry a man and a shovel, eg the man drives his lorry loaded with cold tarmac he then gets out the lorry shovels a heap of road patch in the holes and then hits it with the back of the shovel to level it, as you can imagine it doesn't level very well and leaves great big bumps in the road, so the local council that gets the money for maintenance then takes the cheap option and installs road signs to advise you only do 40mph because it is uneven,so when I take the VN out with its over soft or worn suspension it almost throws me in the hedge bottom, i think it is time to replace the shocks but like you I am not willing to pay half of what the bike is worth to do that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks KM

Hello? This thing on?
Hi
KM Sorry I didn't reply before and thanks to you for the web site, there's that much info on here I'm struggling to keep up looks like some good prices on there from 49.95 upwards, tried putting atr in comes out just as quick as it goes in lol, so looks like new shocks to go with everything else :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I don't know about the stock VN750 shocks, but some shocks can be rebuilt. The stock air shocks on '84-'87 Goldwings are rebuildable, but it's a hassle. It costs about a $100 to repair them both with all new parts, and rebuilt ones have been known to fail. So I spent the $$$ and got new name brand aftermarket ones. So far they are working beautifully. They look beautiful too, it's to bad they are hidden behind the saddlebags. I expect the Vulcan shocks to outlast the engine. The GW is 27 years old, and from the looks of it, it has not had the best of care. Hopefully I can salvage another 100,000 miles out of it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know about the stock VN750 shocks, but some shocks can be rebuilt. The stock air shocks on '84-'87 Goldwings are rebuildable, but it's a hassle. It costs about a $100 to repair them both with all new parts, and rebuilt ones have been known to fail. So I spent the $$$ and got new name brand aftermarket ones. So far they are working beautifully. They look beautiful too, it's to bad they are hidden behind the saddlebags. I expect the Vulcan shocks to outlast the engine. The GW is 27 years old, and from the looks of it, it has not had the best of care. Hopefully I can salvage another 100,000 miles out of it.
Hi Jerry

Yeah I think I will just get some after market shocks will be a lot cheaper Rev it up has found some on Ebay for £55 waiting to see if they are any use, If not Knifemaker has given me a link to a site that may have some that are suitable, as for the GW I'm sure you will be able to get it tidied up and make it last another 100,000 miles

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Jerry

Yeah I think I will just get some after market shocks will be a lot cheaper Rev it up has found some on Ebay for £55 waiting to see if they are any use, If not Knifemaker has given me a link to a site that may have some that are suitable, as for the GW I'm sure you will be able to get it tidied up and make it last another 100,000 miles
Funny you should say that !. Today i put them on and took a 25 mile ride (weather been good today here !). They have 5 settings,i have them on 2 to try out first. I will not know their full capabilities untill i ride two up with luggage,which wont be till about march !. But i really do think they will be fine !. By the way,i think these shocks are the same economy one's that are on the site that KM mentioned,but cheaper on ebay. Ps,,i hear you got new tyres on the way !,,your splashing out on that bike i see..lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts