Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Immediately after crashing a few weekends ago I noticed that my rear brake was spongy. I originally thought I knocked the rear brake pedal out of alignment but I've replaced it since then and it's still really spongy. I noticed an adjustment on the brake rod attached to the rear tire and played with that but didn't notice any immediate difference so I stopped messing with it in fear of doing more damage. Anyone have advice on how to tighten the brakes?

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
See post #21 here:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23320&page=2

Then put the bike on the centerstand and slowly turn the nut on the brake rod at the wheel while spinning the tire by hand. (The nut sets at 1/2 turn increments)

As soon as you hear the shoe scrape the drum, stop. If it still scrapes after you get the bike off the stand.. Back it off 1/2 turn.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read the posts but wasn't sure if the adjustment screw would fix my original "spongy brake" issue and also wasn't sure why this first surfaced after a crash. I have the brake pedal positioned as far up as possible and I'm still pushing past "level" to get the brake to respond. It's dangerous.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Well you can only try the two adjustments posted and then see what happens.

If no help at all, my thinking is the fall somehow damaged the cable. Or broke something in the system. If the brakes were tight and usable before the bike fell, then some thing got messed up when it did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts