Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any ideas? Soon no more hair on my head to pull out.. Crankcase splitted twice.
Too big gap between shift shaft and shift drum cam?
I can not figure out why not shift to second using the pedal.
Closeup ant end of video...
See video here: youtube.com/watch?v=SjL4PxDOVvo

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Any ideas? Soon no more hair on my head to pull out.. Crankcase splitted twice.
Too big gap between shift shaft and shift drum cam?
I can not figure out why not shift to second using the pedal.
Closeup ant end of video...
See video here: youtube.com/watch?v=SjL4PxDOVvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjL4PxDOVvo
Sorry, unable to offer any idea's. :frown2:

Your Shift Pawl Lever tips look like new........
Did not notice any worn parts......

When did this start ? ....after an engine repair/rebuild (splitting cases) ?

:smile2:

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Uh-oh....

Are you trying to shift to second with the bike just sitting there? Or did you have trouble when riding the bike?

Just sitting ... Kawi has positive neutral finder, will not go into 2nd unless the bike is moving a certain speed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, unable to offer any idea's. :frown2:

Your Shift Pawl Lever tips look like new........
Did not notice any worn parts......

When did this start ? ....after an engine repair/rebuild (splitting cases) ?

:smile2:
Thank you for reply :)

Yes, after second splitting, was good after first splitting.

First time: Had to replace the left case half because of the left balancer bolt fell off when driving and damaged the crankcase, balancer gear and alernator rotor. I guess the previous owner forgot to use locktite on the bolt...

Second time: Had to replace water pump because of sloppy work by me with the snap ring...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh-oh....

Are you trying to shift to second with the bike just sitting there? Or did you have trouble when riding the bike?

Just sitting ... Kawi has positive neutral finder, will not go into 2nd unless the bike is moving a certain speed.
Haha! :)

Thank you for reply.

Yes that's truth unless you remove the front bevel gear case, and turn the damper cam by hand, fast enough.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I'm not sure you turned it fast enough.

Did it stop shifting while riding?

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
No, it was after the second splitting.

PNF: As you can se in the video, it works when I use the pilers, but the Shift Pawl can not touch the Shift Drum Cam when in neutral (1:20).
It's designed not to shift above neutral unless the bike is moving a certain speed. I'm not sure rotating that shaft by hand will do it.

The ball in the neutral finder is probably stopping the shift pawl from reaching 2nd. It hits 1st and neutral ok, and neutral is an upshift.

I can be wrong, but that's how it looks.

Any chance the PNF got misplaced during the work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It's designed not to shift above neutral unless the bike is moving a certain speed. I'm not sure rotating that shaft by hand will do it.

The ball in the neutral finder is probably stopping the shift pawl from reaching 2nd. It hits 1st and neutral ok, and neutral is an upshift.

I can be wrong, but that's how it looks.

Any chance the PNF got misplaced during the work?
OK! I understand what you mean according to PNF.

I belive this: (0:11) can not change to 2nd, even with the pilers. (0:13) can change to 2nd because the steel-balls has been sent away from the grooves in the output shaft, and into the holes in the gear.

...and yes, I have tried to shift to second while driving the testride after the second splitting. That's why I removed the transmission cover and bevel gear case for the third time. :crying:

Yes, it might happend, I'm only human... (hehe)

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Ok, understood.

At :45, looking at the pawl and it's slot in the center, when you shift, the pin in the center contacts the bottom of the slot and it shifts.

Right after that, when you try to shift the other direction, it doesn't look like the pin contacts the top of the slot. That's when it won't shift.

I'm wondering if the internal linkage rod could be bent or out of adjustment (if any). ??

Maybe shift some more and verify if that pin can ever contact the the top of the slot. ??

Doesn't look like it's throwing the pawl far enough in that one direction. The shift drum and gears appear to be fine from this angle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, understood.

At :45, looking at the pawl and it's slot in the center, when you shift, the pin in the center contacts the bottom of the slot and it shifts.

Right after that, when you try to shift the other direction, it doesn't look like the pin contacts the top of the slot. That's when it won't shift.

I'm wondering if the internal linkage rod could be bent or out of adjustment (if any). ??

Maybe shift some more and verify if that pin can ever contact the the top of the slot. ??

Doesn't look like it's throwing the pawl far enough in that one direction. The shift drum and gears appear to be fine from this angle.
New video:

It's not a problem shifting from 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th with the pedal. (Of course I need to help a little bit to turn the outputshaft.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Almost looks like what happened to me. If while sitting you can shift into first but not back to neutral, the shift linkage is adjusted too long. Took me three case splits and bothering a friend for three weeks to discover it. In a nut shell the linkage hits the inside of the case and cannot move the pawl far enough to upshift. Possibly in the last split it could have become mis-adjusted. Sorry to say but the only fix is another splitting if I'm right. I hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Almost looks like what happened to me. If while sitting you can shift into first but not back to neutral, the shift linkage is adjusted too long. Took me three case splits and bothering a friend for three weeks to discover it. In a nut shell the linkage hits the inside of the case and cannot move the pawl far enough to upshift. Possibly in the last split it could have become mis-adjusted. Sorry to say but the only fix is another splitting if I'm right. I hope I am wrong.
Thanks for the reply!

Ok, but in my case I have no problems shifting from 1st to N

Shows best in this video, I think. (0:54)

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
The first video showed it not shifting into 2nd from 1st, but you aren't trying that in the second video. Only 2 through 5 and back, which looks like it's ok there..

As dragon said, doesn't look like enough throw to get into 2nd. Internal rod hitting the case, I remember his post about that..

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Dragon is right i talked him through this issue a while back the reason why you can go from 1st to neutral is that it is a short throw basically a half shift you are going to have to split the case and remove the nut that holds the shift shaft to the transmission so you can rotate the shaft a bit basically re-homing the shift linkage

I promise you this if you split the case and do the same test you did in the video while watching the internal portion of the shift linkage you will clearly see the problem it is a pain in the ass but overall since you have already split the case twice you should find it easier than ever

·
Registered
570 Posts
Uh-oh....

Does that also not shift if the RPMs are too high? If i wind a bit much out of first before shifting, sometimes it just blocks as if a brick wall was on top of the pedal.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Does that also not shift if the RPMs are too high? If i wind a bit much out of first before shifting, sometimes it just blocks as if a brick wall was on top of the pedal.
That is just gears not meshing right due to over rev which I doubt I have to tell you but here it is anyway over reving the engine is not a great practice and will accelerate the clock on engine wear

·
Registered
570 Posts
That is just gears not meshing right due to over rev which I doubt I have to tell you but here it is anyway over reving the engine is not a great practice and will accelerate the clock on engine wear
I usually like to be in 2nd gear before the other side of the intersection. Life doesn't always make that possible depending on various moving things and which direction they are heading. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did anyone ever figure this out? Just rebuilt my entire motor only to go on a test ride and find it doesn't shift into second. But shifts with pliers fine. And the pawl hits the drum like it wants to shift, just like his!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts