Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, this is my first major operation as well as my first cycle. I have an '03 with 16,000 miles on it. Just got it last August. Unfortunately, I only found this site recently and so needless to say knew nothing about checking the splines.

I did and they are shot. Lots of red powder in there and the teeth are ground down pretty good. Anyone have a replacement lying around? I'll check Ebay too but there wasn't anything yesterday.

I am very frustrated. I put new tires on it last month and the dealer claims upon a follow-up phone call that he's sure they were looked at and if they needed any grease some was added. Nothing on the bill and certainly no sign of any grease for a very long time. I had asked another dealer since than to inspect them and he replied "nah, they should be good for a while yet". Last night I spoke with a serviceman and he told me that they recently received a service directive from Kawasaki regarding the "importance of this service". He wished me luck. Needless to say this sickens me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Buddy, I feel your pain! Sorry to hear about that. Best you can do is keep an eye on ebay. You'll generally have to ask about the drive shaft splines though as the sellers usually don't know to show the shape of the splines in question.

Check with eriefisherman. I recall he had a final drive at one time.

I also read a post on here today somewhere where a newbie was talking about a friend's 750 that he wrecked and had salvaged. You might see if they can get the final drive and drive shaft for ya. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fergy, sent him a PM.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Joe, that sux sorry to hear that, I posted a thread in the parts section about a week ago on a salvage yard in Texas, while BSing with the man for a while he told me that when he has final drives he sells them for around 300-350. gonna edit this post with the info once I find it

from my other thread
parts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all I was talking to a guy down in Texas yesterday that has a salvage yard . southparkcycle.com I believe it was 888-952-9253 his name is Rick Ledet..he was telling me that when he gets in final drives he sells them for $350, maybe some of you from Texas know of this place and could add a comment here. Just thought it would be good to know and keep in mind, ya can't always find them for $100 on EBAY lol and still beats that $1000 at the stealership. I do not know what else he has for our bikes I was mostly interested in weighing my options for my problems.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Sorry to hear about your splines. EasyRector - you reading this??? Only 16,000 miles - shot!

Joepa, we'll keep our eyes and ears out for parts for you. This is definitely the place to post your need!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I've been looking on here and I posted a couple of questions asking folks to look you up if they had the parts. I hope someone comes through for you.

I was lucky to get mine from an 86 on ebay for just over $100 with the drive shaft. You'll only need the coupling but most don't take the time to pull the coupling off the shaft and sell it as one piece. I guess they don't have ring clip pliers laying around. Anyhow, I'll keep helping you look. I have some saved searches that alert me when anything comes available on ebay. We'll find you one!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
fergy said:
Anyhow, I'll keep helping you look. I have some saved searches that alert me when anything comes available on ebay. We'll find you one!
That's it, Fergy! THere is no "i" in "team" - or "Vulcan"!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Man! I just get my backside all burned when I hear about this! I'm a little incouraged that your Kaw tech said Kaw sent a directive about the importance of doing the lube on the 750. Maybe someone somewhere is listening??

Just posted a thread on the yahoo group asking for help too!

No I in team is right! God only knows what I would have done by now without this forum. :carryflag

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well that sucks. Maybe you will get lucky with Ebay. or you might even try Craigslist.com. I had 400 miles on my 06 and I checked the splines, good thing i did, very little grease. So I greased them up with Moly 60. Now they are good to go.

·
Registered
699 Posts
please let this be a warning to all....check those splines ASAP
I really believe now that the last half of the 750 run the grease guy was sleeping....I was amazed when I looked at mine the other day and saw they looked brand new, still has some grease on them...I bought fresh moly 60 today for when I reinstall.
Joe I will keep my eyes open for you, I will call a bone yard in Ma tomorrow and see if I can find 1 for a good price (or any price) there.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
fergy said:
Man! I'm a little incouraged that your Kaw tech said Kaw sent a directive about the importance of doing the lube on the 750. Maybe someone somewhere is listening??
Just that they're listening a little too late.
What were they thinking when they made the directive? .......

(Setting the scene)
~A fly on the wall sits quietly, listening to the CEO's of Kawasaki's monthly Big Wig Pow-Wow~

Big Wig1: Hello gentlemen. Hope everyone had a great game of golf yesterday.

Big Wig2:(in his best brown nose tone) Oh yes Big Wig1. And what a great game you had. I knew I couldn't beat a pro like you.

Big Wig3:(in the same tone) Oh yes Big Wig1. You were great.

Big Wig9: (in a sqeaky little voice from the far end of the Board Table) Uh, excuse me, s-s-sir..... We're still getting alot of complaints about the spline lube issue on the Vulcan 750's. People are really upset about this.

Big Wig1: What's wrong with those people?! Can't they just except the fact that WE certainly don't want to do it! What will it cost for us to start doing this 'lube' thing?

BigWig9: Uh, Sir..... We're... we're not producing the Vulcan 750 any more.

Big Wig1: Well fine then. We'll now admit that we should've done this from the start. Put out a directive ! Now, Big Wig3, what were you saying about me being great?

~The fly on the wall shakes his head in disbelief.
He can't understand why nobody is eating the dog poop on Big Wig6's shoe.
~
(the fly Buzzes away)

·
Geek
872 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing my splines right now. '05, was damp with grease, now it's loaded up. :notworthy Thanks Fergy for the picture tutorial :notworthy

·
Registered
50 Posts
fergy said:
Buddy, I feel your pain! Sorry to hear about that. Best you can do is keep an eye on ebay. You'll generally have to ask about the drive shaft splines though as the sellers usually don't know to show the shape of the splines in question.

Check with eriefisherman. I recall he had a final drive at one time.

I also read a post on here today somewhere where a newbie was talking about a friend's 750 that he wrecked and had salvaged. You might see if they can get the final drive and drive shaft for ya. Best of luck to you!
Hello Fergy I pmd. Joepa I sold the final drive last week to another member in need. SORRY I was of no help. Eriefisherman

·
Registered
699 Posts
I just made a post over on VROC looking for a final.. I know Fergy posted on yahoo, so hopefully with enough people knowing 1 can be located.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated!! I'm sure something will come up. In the meantime, I am out of service. This is the second time in two months that I am sidelined, last time it was the stator. Second time for that this year alone.

I really like the Vulcan's looks and it's ride but these quirks are really frustrating and expensive. Fergy, your pics and description for the spline lube was so helpful. Again, thanks to all of you for your help in this search. Hope to have good news soon.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Crobins365 said:
EasyRector - you reading this??? Only 16,000 miles - shot!
Oh, yeah, I'm all ears! I'm going to get at it as soon as I can. I have 3,300 on my 2006 already. I hope that ~ if my splines are dry/semi-dry ~ there is little or no damage yet... Wishful thinking?

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
If they are dry, then you ought to get compensated for the time you spent.

·
Geek
872 Posts
EasyRector said:
Oh, yeah, I'm all ears! I'm going to get at it as soon as I can. I have 3,300 on my 2006 already. I hope that ~ if my splines are dry/semi-dry ~ there is little or no damage yet... Wishful thinking?
I just did my '05. There was a little grease but not enough. Do it as soon as you can.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
cegodsey said:
If they are dry, then you ought to get compensated for the time you spent.
If they're shot or damaged, I think he oughta get a new bike, gratis. And so should everyone on the Forum. :pepper: That seems like the only fair way to compensate ER for his loss, and us for our grief watching him - and sooo many others - go through something that is completely unncessary.

Seriously, though, check 'em soon!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Joe I left a message this afternoon with the place in Ma...haven't heard back as yet. Did you call the Texas place yet? Also look again on Ebay for ones that are selling alot of different parts they may have the whole bike so email them and ask...its worth a shot

1 - 20 of 41 Posts