Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that on the signature many riders write lubed splines. What splines? May be something that I need to do.

·
Registered
321 Posts
splines are the teeth on your transmission, driveshaft, and final drive on that connects to the rear wheel.

Do a search for splines, also look in the versus.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
All shaft drive equipped motorcycles have splines that must be lubricated every so often.

This is true from the Honda Goldwing on down.

Some of the VN750s unfortunately came from the factory with very little (or no) proper lubricant on their splines.

Some have discovered this oversight in time--and some have not.

You can read more about this in general by clicking the following link, then scroll down to the part that's labelled "spline lubricants"...and read the rest of the page below that.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Shaft.html#Splines

You'll see what is the correct lubricant to use. Do not use general purpose, heavy duty grease for the splines!

For our bike, you can visit (or do a search for) Fergy's signature and click on "spline lube procedure" to see the specifics for how to check and/or lube your bike's splines.

The sooner you do this, the better off you (and your bike) will be....:smiley_th

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
And if your splines do go bad on ya (they give very little to no warning when they go),
you can expect BIG bills to get things working again.
Although, several people have got great deals on used final drives from eBay

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Another quick comment;
The procedure may look intimidating at first, but even folks without any experience at all (like me) with spline lubing were able to do it themselves following the step-by-step procedures. Make sure you get the proper type material and torque properly when putting back together and it will be a snap!

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts