Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, had the splines checked and relubed, coolant changed and the R/R relocated (had Bulldogs kit) all for $108 - not bad.

He said the splines were lubed and the rear looked brand new, no wear.

If you're in NJ the place was John's Cycle Repair on RT 22E Whitehouse

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It`s good to hear you`re all ready to mount up and ride. Now if only the weather will co-operate.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Howdy all, had the splines checked and relubed, coolant changed and the R/R relocated (had Bulldogs kit) all for $108 - not bad.
I don't have a garage to work on my bike. Does anyone know where I can get this kind of deal near Portland, OR?

·
Registered
707 Posts
only thing i can suggest is start looking around for a decent place.... look for customer ratings on their service and orices...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Or find a member on here that has a garage that would hook a brutha up.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts

He said the splines were lubed and the rear looked brand new, no wear.

If you're in NJ the place was John's Cycle Repair on RT 22E Whitehouse
Hiker, I get all the work I can't do myself at John's. He's the only guy I trust with my bike.

If you live in Central Jersey you really should check him out.

R

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yea, I'm a believer that's for sure. If I would have had it done anywhere else, it would have cost 2-3x as much. Don't know how he does it. But, it's kinda a throw back to a different era, at least here in NJ. Almost like a Bradley Gardens, Bridgewater sort of thing. BG in Somerset County is like going back in time to the 1050s Cobb County Georgia. This old, interminably crowded, dirty place with its yesteryear pricing is a godsend considering I'm 7 miles away.

The downside is he can't store the bike and as such, he has to get em in and done then out the same day. His hours are kind of unpredictable too.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Anyone good in TN? I live in Cleveland and wonder about the splines on my 2003.
Bob
If you have a few metric sockets, torque wrench, a set of really long nosed ring pliers, and know how to operate them, you can do it yourself. Just follow the instructions that are in fergy's signature. If the factory didn't lube them and the Kawasaki dealership didn't lube them when they did a $1,300 complete maintenance check (just before PO sold it), how are you going to be sure they are lubed? Mine were dry as a bone.

Whatever tools you may not have you can buy and still be money ahead. And you'll sleep better knowing it was done right! OldDog is from Tennessee (yeah, it's a loooong state) and might be willing to assist/supervise if he's available.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you have a few metric sockets, torque wrench, a set of really long nosed ring pliers, and know how to operate them, you can do it yourself. Just follow the instructions that are in fergy's signature. If the factory didn't lube them and the Kawasaki dealership didn't lube them when they did a $1,300 complete maintenance check (just before PO sold it), how are you going to be sure they are lubed? Mine were dry as a bone.

Whatever tools you may not have you can buy and still be money ahead. And you'll sleep better knowing it was done right! OldDog is from Tennessee (yeah, it's a loooong state) and might be willing to assist/supervise if he's available.
FliteControl --

I'm getting ready to do my splines and I think I have everything except the long nosed ring pliers. I have regular needle nose pliers but I'm not sure what "ring pliers" are. Can you tell me exactly what I need to get and at what point in the process I would need these?

Many Thanx!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
^Yes, it would. Leaving out one small word can really mess up a message! You can see a picture of what fergy used in his post. I couldn't find any that long and narrow. Wound up getting a cheap combination internal/external snap ring pliers and cutting off the offending wide parts that kept me from reaching the internal snap ring in the coupler. I also contemplated grinding down the tips of some long needle nose pliers, but I think the route I took was the easiest.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Snap Ring Pliers!

^Yes, it would. Leaving out one small word can really mess up a message! You can see a picture of what fergy used in his post. I couldn't find any that long and narrow. Wound up getting a cheap combination internal/external snap ring pliers and cutting off the offending wide parts that kept me from reaching the internal snap ring in the coupler. I also contemplated grinding down the tips of some long needle nose pliers, but I think the route I took was the easiest.
Kenny and FliteControl --

Snap Ring pliers!! I don't remember seeing a pic of these pliers in Fergy's post. I must have missed them. I'll look again.

Thanx!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Kenny and FliteControl --

Snap Ring pliers!! I don't remember seeing a pic of these pliers in Fergy's post. I must have missed them. I'll look again.

Thanx!!
Found the pictures of the pliers in Fergy's write-up and bought them at Advance Auto. Tomorrow is spline day for Mr. Spock and me. . .wish us luck! :confused: I feel I'm going to need it!

--

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
I was apprehensive when I did mine, it looked like an undaunting task. When I actually got started it was easy. Took me about 2 hours with 20 minutes of that for a beer. Next time, 2 beers and an hour should do it.

I also replaced my rear brake shoes while I had it apart, that was easy too.

Reactions: FlaRider

·
Registered
491 Posts
I was apprehensive when I did mine, it looked like an undaunting task. When I actually got started it was easy. Took me about 2 hours with 20 minutes of that for a beer. Next time, 2 beers and an hour should do it.

I also replaced my rear brake shoes while I had it apart, that was easy too.
Thanx Cliff!

I hope mine goes as well. We'll see!? :baby:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Good going guys. The 2009 wrenching school is in full swing and the Vulcans are getting the TLC they need. And having the right tools does make for a less stressful job.

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
If you need snap ring pliers, Pep Boys sells a nice set with different tips to fit just about any situation. I'm sure others sell them too, I just happen to find them there.

Harbor Freight Tools I'm sure would have them too and cheap. This is my second home, while I usually only buy Craftsman, I've been finding that HFT has some equal quality for a lot less Lincolns.

Good luck on the spline job - I'm really glad I did mine and had it not been for this forum I wouldn't have even known it was an issue.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts