Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I need to do the Spline lube. I'd like to avoid down time so I understand I should order at least one of the common seals. Is the seal that typically needs replacing P/N 92055A? I'm going to try to find the high Moly grease locally but if not is there a good place to buy online? We only have a Harley dealership in town and they've never heard of Moly. I was able to pick up some good synthetic gear lube at Walmart. Its similar to the stuff I use for my outdrive on my boat.

-Robert

·
wicker san antonio
92 Posts
Spline lube...seals?

There is one O ring behind the splines on the shaft that sticks out of the final drive unit. Part no 92055... When you order the O Ring from a Kawi dealer they should have the 'moly 60 paste'. I got my Orings and the moly from Alamo Cycle Plex in San Antonio. Their phone no is 210 696 2000. The O ring costs about $5 and the moly cost$ 10.98 for a small tube about 6 inches by 2" (fits small grease guns). Part No. 92055A is not the correct part. The moly I bought from Alamo is made by Honda.

BTW if you have not discovered Fergy's How To on lubing the splines , I highly recommend: http://pages.tstar.net/~fergy/writeups/final_drive1.html.
It has pictures and step by step procedures.

Good luck. The procedure is really easy and staight forward.

Wicker/ San Antonio

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Seems like that one tube would do the job a few times, & free shipping would make it hard to beat... I paid out the yazoo for my 70% when I bought it, quite a bit more than that...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
The Honda moly 60 refers to 60% molybdenum in the lube.

Here`s a thread with at least a couple of links to moly 60 lube, and some discussion on the pros and cons of using other lubes.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10181
Hmmm. I'm starting to think the "Hi Temp Wheel Bearing Grease" I put on there 2000 miles ago may not be sufficient. But isn't there even more friction going inside a car's wheel hub than in the driveshaft splines?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts