Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got it done finally... glad to say the splines looked good. My safety course was scheduled for 8/23 - 25 but got moved up to 8/9 - 11 so I will be road legal two weeks sooner :lockd:

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
just got mine 3 weeks ago after 3 years of riding, aced the ohio test but bike started acting up right after, all is good for now though I hope!

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
whats this endorsement thing ? lol;)

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
I have a special MC classification for Massachusetts on my license. Had to take a drivers test just like car. Had to do circles and figure 8's in parking lot. But that was 30 years ago. Even when I didnr have a bike I kept the classification on my license.

·
Registered
293 Posts
whats this endorsement thing ? lol;)
It means you're not riding with a learner's permit. You have to take a test, like you do for a car, or most states will wave this if you pass the MSF course. Here in KY, having the endorsement rather than just the permit frees you from a few restrictions. You can legally ride two up and also after dark. Once you've had your endorsement for a year, you may also ride without a helmet if you choose to. I got mine last year after completing the MSF rider course. I also found out last year that some events may require you have the endorsement to participate. I wanted to ride in the leg of the Run for the Wall when it came through my area last year, but could not because I only had my permit at the time.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I am old enough that all I had to do was take the written test and driving test. Passed them both and I am legal for day or night.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I got mine back on my 16th birthday in 1975. All I had to do was take a 25 word written test, and ride the bike, a '72 Suzuki GT380, a couple of circles around the parking lot. I have since taken both the beginners and experienced MSF rider courses, and had some training with our city's police motorcycle drill team. Jerry.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Im only 5'-4" and I had a 1973 Yamaha TX-750. The instructor dismissed the first two guys in front of me because of Ape Hangers and not legal directionals. He looked at me and asked if I knew anybody with a smaller bike. I said , no, this is what I ride. We had to go 6 months with a learners in 1980 in Mass., no passengers, no night riding.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Back to the spline lube...

I am just about ready to lube my drive splines. I'm curious as to why it is necessary to pack the spline coupling with as much moly as pointed out in the instructions. It would seem to me that giving the male and female splines a generous coating of moly paste should be enough to do the job. Wouldn't the spline movement tend to want to force any excess lube out anyway? And if it is not on the spline teeth, it's useless. Can anyone explain why so much grease is recommended?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I, for myself, do not reccommend that much grease. I believe that the grease doing the work is the grease that is in contact with the splines. The extra grease is too thick to move into place to lube the splines. IMO

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I have a special MC classification for Massachusetts on my license. Had to take a drivers test just like car. Had to do circles and figure 8's in parking lot. But that was 30 years ago. Even when I didnr have a bike I kept the classification on my license.
Ditto.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I, for myself, do not reccommend that much grease. I believe that the grease doing the work is the grease that is in contact with the splines. The extra grease is too thick to move into place to lube the splines. IMO
I agree. I've used less and less each time I've done the job, cause you will see when you get back in there, most of it is not staying in the teeth. I believe 3 oz is what the KAW service manual calls for, but it is more than needed IMO. Last few times I used my finger and just did a good coating around the inside of the coupling teeth and around the final drive spline teeth, and a dab of extra shoved back inside the coupling.

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
Well I got it done finally... glad to say the splines looked good. My safety course was scheduled for 8/23 - 25 but got moved up to 8/9 - 11 so I will be road legal two weeks sooner :lockd:
I learned first hand what happens to the splines if they don't get lubed properly. P bought a 750 last year and didn't know about lubing the splines, sheared the teeth off the pinion shaft in June. The differentials for these bikes are seriously expensive, luckily I found a guy selling a used one. It might leak moly til next spring but it's lubed now.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Got the splines lubed today, but they didn't look perfect. The torque side of the teeth on both the coupling and male spline show signs of wear and a little metal starting to roll over, thus increasing the clearance in the joint. There was some lube in there, (I guess I was one of the lucky ones?) not much though. Very little got by the 'O' ring, but I changed it anyway. I figured with only 5500 miles on it, and at least some lube on the teeth I should have been alright. I guess not. So it can happen quick. I guess all I can do now is keep it lubed, and keep my fingers crossed!

Actually, the spline looks undersized to me.

·
2,527 Posts
It means you're not riding with a learner's permit. You have to take a test, like you do for a car, or most states will wave this if you pass the MSF course. Here in KY, having the endorsement rather than just the permit frees you from a few restrictions. You can legally ride two up and also after dark. Once you've had your endorsement for a year, you may also ride without a helmet if you choose to.
PA is the same way, except I believe you could ride without a helmet after taking the course without waiting a year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts