Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Be True, Be Safe!!!
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to tackle the Spline lube tonight through tomorrow. All the info I have found here has been very helpful and has givin me the courage and the confidence to do it myself. With my bro's help. He is a handy guy just like me. Wish me luck that I have teeth left back there. Only 7000 mi on the bike and being an 05 I am confident there is. But who knows until it comes apart. I thank Fergy;s post on this as it is very informative and should help alot. Will post results tomorrow. :beerchug: Haning a couple of these while doing to keep the stress down.

·
Bat
161 Posts
[QUOTE. But who knows until it comes apart. .[/QUOTE]

On those lines, is there any definitive test or trial that can be done to see if a spline job is needed? Sounds? Actions?
Bat

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
[QUOTE. But who knows until it comes apart. .
On those lines, is there any definitive test or trial that can be done to see if a spline job is needed? Sounds? Actions?
Bat[/QUOTE]

No test. It has to be a visual check.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
just do it! its quick and painless and well worth the peace of mind!

·
Be True, Be Safe!!!
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just finished spline lube. Brother was a great help. No red dust at all. all teeth intact. yippee. Doing a gear oil change while Im greasy. Thank you all for the help. anything i should know about that? THANKS MUCH TO FERGY FOR HIS POST . it helped a lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought one of these bikes

and i love it! I was upgrading from my first bike which was a 74 honda cb360.

but i hear some horror stories about these splines. which ones?? i need to get a manual for this bike so i know what im dealing with, but are they the splines under that rubber boot near the front of the shaft or are there splines driving the rear wheel?

its a 05 with 6800 miles so everything is prolly fine, i just want to keep it that way.

·
Registered
796 Posts
It is the spline where the rear housing on the wheel bolts to the drive shaft housing. Check Fergy's link and there is in depth instructions and pictures.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
but are they the splines under that rubber boot near the front of the shaft or are there splines driving the rear wheel?

its a 05 with 6800 miles so everything is prolly fine, i just want to keep it that way.
you will grease both, use "fergys" write up on it, step by step instructions, with pics. he made it so simple.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The spline are not the drive gears in the gear box. They are the slip joint on the drive shaft. They are at the rear right where those four bolts connect the drive unit to the shaft tube.
And some have had problems early, be sure to check them and lube them.
Go to the vulcan verses for more help.
Welcome to the group.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
[QUOTE. But who knows until it comes apart. .
Bat[/QUOTE]

Sounds and actions mean it is too late! No sound or action means there are at least "some" teeth left and hopefully they are all good and some lube was there from the factory. Only way to know is to pull it apart and look. Besides, you have to pull it apart to lube them and it is part of the periodic maintenance schedule for the bike anyway. Service manual says to lube them at 6000 or 7500 miles depending on what you read, then again after another each 10 or 12K miles thereafter. I suggest that anyone who has a 750 check them immediately, especially on a later model, and especially if it has less than 6000 miles on it. That gives you the best chance to save them early before they start to chew themselves up. Of course if you've got over 6K miles and have never lubed the splines, you might be riding on borrowed time!

And almost to a "T", everyone who has done the spline lube has commented that it really wasn't that bad or hard, and now they know exactly what to do and won't be apprehensive about it when it is time again... Plus, almost everyone tells of the confidence they feel, knowing their splines are in good, lubed shape!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts