Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my 23000 mile spline lube. One before that was about 12000miles.
I discovered that there was rusty looking stuff mixed with some of my moly and that the oring had failed. It was still on but a chunk was torn out of it.
I wonder if i cut it slightly when i used a screwdriver to pry it on the spline all the way around ..the first lube. This time i used my finger tips and only used the screwdriver to pry it once over the edge/lip.
I took pictures and will be uploading them shortly.:loser1:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Linkmeister Supreme
Joined
·
7,960 Posts
To my eyes the splines in the pics do not look badly damaged.

While doing a spline lube, if you are concerned that the splines are worn, you might remove the lock ring from inside the spline coupler on the driveshaft, then pull off the coupler and test fit it on the splines of the final drive. Try twisting it back and forth to see if there is any slop or looseness between the male and female splines.

I think you are right about cutting the o-ring with the screwdriver during the previous spline lube. Fingertips are likely safer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
keeping it alive for commentary.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No more comments?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess i was just looking to see what other people thought. I guess the screwdriver induced failure of the oring has it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,236 Posts
I guess i was just looking to see what other people thought. I guess the screwdriver induced failure of the oring has it.
Lay the grease to it and don't mess up the new seal I think OL Hoss hit this nail on the head .

Just a little confirmation for you,the splines look like they have plenty of life left in them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the second opinion. Its nice to have more than one! :) Not that i doubted ol hoss....i feel better knowing two are saying the same...
 

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
Joined
·
261 Posts
I guess i was just looking to see what other people thought. I guess the screwdriver induced failure of the oring has it.
FWIW, I have done the spline lube probably a half dozen times, and every time that o-ring has been blown just like yours. I never used a screwdriver, either. The last three times, I lubed it up real good before putting it on, and specifically checked very carefully to see if the o-ring was damaged in any way after slipping it over the splines, but it looked perfect. I was thinking maybe I put TOO MUCH moly in there and the pressure caused the o-ring to fail, or something like that. I was going to try putting a little less in there the next time.
 

·
Linkmeister Supreme
Joined
·
7,960 Posts
I have not done a spline lube yet, but have read that it requires 3 teaspoons of grease. This is about the same as the 17ml that the Clymer manual specifies on page 399. However on page 398 it says to apply a LIGHT COAT of moly grease to the inside of the drive shaft joint.

I think Pick is right about too much grease in that space blowing out the O-ring. I am considering using a baby sized toothbrush to apply a coat of grease to the splines when I do the lube job, and not to fill the void. Movement and the heat of friction physically work the molybdenum molecules into the surface of the steel a few microns deep. This actually treats the steel and gives it a low coefficeint of friction, even if grease were not present for some period of time.

This process may use only one or two teaspoons of grease, not three.
Is that too radical a drop in volume do you think?
Perhaps I will need to pull the rear wheel and check the splines at 3-5K miles instead of 10K to see if the smaller volume of lube is holding out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
too much lube

FWIW, I have done the spline lube probably a half dozen times, and every time that o-ring has been blown just like yours. I never used a screwdriver, either. The last three times, I lubed it up real good before putting it on, and specifically checked very carefully to see if the o-ring was damaged in any way after slipping it over the splines, but it looked perfect. I was thinking maybe I put TOO MUCH moly in there and the pressure caused the o-ring to fail, or something like that. I was going to try putting a little less in there the next time.
Regrettably i think you are right. I stuffed it too the gills with moly the first time. As much as would fit in the coupling. This time it was a little less...we shall see. I notice that i don't have grease all over my rear wheel like i did last time...so i wonder if the oring blows..if that is a symptom is grease leaking all over. So far so good ..even after riding the hill country for 4 hours...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top