Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lucky I did it today but not what you think. When I was pulling the boot back to spray some lithium grease to the u-joint I found some type of washer laying on top of the housing. Look familiar.

The nut on the rear engine mount had come off and the washer was still there, so I figured it must have just happened, bolt was still there, just needed to run to the hardware store for another nut. So lesson learned, check your nuts & bolts regularly! By the way, does anyone have an extra nut for the mounting bolt. I had to get a chrome one and want to put the original black one back on.

Splines looked really good, the grease was really worn out, it had a reddish tint and smelled burnt, so I'm glad that's done now.

·
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There was also some numbers written on the inside of the spline housing, couldn't figure out what they ment.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Ace and other hardware stores sell chrome metric nuts and bolts way cheaper than stealerships.

DT

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
If you can tell me the diameter and thread pitch, I'll go through my bag of VN750 nuts and bolts acquired with a used engine and see if I can find one. Yours for postage if I've got one.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
There was also some numbers written on the inside of the spline housing, couldn't figure out what they ment.
Possibly a date for when it was installed/replaced or last lubed?? 12/15/0 (2000)

But it looks to me more like a parcel number for delivery of several pieces to a store, as in number 12 of 150 pieces.

Just guessing in both cases.

·
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can tell me the diameter and thread pitch, I'll go through my bag of VN750 nuts and bolts acquired with a used engine and see if I can find one. Yours for postage if I've got one.
Threads are a 10mm - 1.25 The nut fits a 14mm socket and has a tapered bottom like a washer, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had one of those nuts fall off as well, and have several replacements. If you're still in need of one, PM me with your address and I'll get one in the mail to you.

--FA

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Might want to go with Fire Ant's offer. Will be at least a day before I get out to the barn where the spare parts are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
holy crap, mr. shark. i had the same problem. stopped at a stop light and put my leg down. felt something hit the back of it. the rear mount rod was sticking over halfway out because the nut had come off one end. had to get a nut to fix it. put a washer and nut back on it, painted it black, and been good ever since. haha. wondered if it happened to anyone else. like you said, gotta check them bolts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If available, I'd go with a lock nut to prevent it from coming loose in the future. That's the 4th one including mine that I've heard of coming off! Ace is the place...
This is the ticket, nylock nuts are great if you find them in metric, much better than factory,My rule of thumb is if it vibrated off once it needs replaced with a locknut.Fergy just recently helped out another member that had this problem, I think.He speaks from experience.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine has that same writing in the same place. I doubt any lubing was done by the guy I bought it from, unless it was done by the dealership when they were originally prepping the bike. Mine looks like it says 11/15R???? What comes after the 11/ is kind of unreadable, though. It might even say 11/05.

FWIW, mine is an 05 model with 5k miles.

I tore it down to check the splines, and they were lubed and in great shape.
I re-lubed them anyway... including the front splines in front of the U-joint.

Good Luck!

·
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably a factory thing then with the writing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I also found that an old toothbrush is a good way to apply the grease.
It's good for getting down into the splines.
Plus, the boot up front can be pulled forward, the driveshaft moved back, and those splines reached with the toothbrush as well.

Now, all should be well for a while. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts