Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just bought a 2004 vn740 with just over 11k miles. Got a great deal I think. paid $2925 for it and it is VERY clean.

I have a question on the spline lube thing. I am not very mechanically inclined and would feel better if my local Kawi dealer did the lube job on the spline. (The bike has to be formally inspected anyway).

How much am I looking at for the lube job? And how long should it take? Is it something I can wait for or should I plan on leaving it there for the day?

Thanks for all your help. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Where are you located? (go to your profile and edit your info so we can maybe help you regionally) If there's someone in your area maybe they'll be kind enough to help you do the lube job. It is an easy job to do, and would be a great introduction into the maintenance of these bike for you as a new owner, kind of get your feet wet and take ownership, so to speak.

It's always a crap shoot when you pay a dealership to do the lube job, unless they'll let you watch (supervise) which most won't. (that's the only way I'd ever agree to let someone else do it for me!) You'll read enough stories on here where the dealership didn't even know what we were asking them to do and in my case, they changed the final drive oil, and in the process, broke the front flange off my left muffler (which didn't even need to be removed to do the job!) and didn't lube the splines! so I caution you ahead of time. If you insist on having them do it, print the instructions with photos so you'll have something to go by while you watch them do the job. Whatever they charge you will be too much in my opinion, but I'm heavily biased in my opinion as you can imagine. The procedure is below in my sig. If you are in my area, I'll gladly help you, teach you, while we get it done right and save you a wad of cash! It might cost you a cold glass of iced tea. :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ok, I just bought a 2004 vn740 with just over 11k miles. Got a great deal I think. paid $2925 for it and it is VERY clean.

I have a question on the spline lube thing. I am not very mechanically inclined and would feel better if my local Kawi dealer did the lube job on the spline. (The bike has to be formally inspected anyway).

How much am I looking at for the lube job? And how long should it take? Is it something I can wait for or should I plan on leaving it there for the day?

Thanks for all your help. I will post pictures as soon as I can.
If the tires on your 2004 tire are original or 5 or more years old, then they need to be replaced, regardless of thread and condition. Mounting new tires is the best time to spline lube because removing the rear tire is most of the work. My dealer did the spline lube on my '06 when I had my tires mounted last spring. Charged for grease and orings, but not the labor since I payed a flat rate of $90 for the tire mount and balance.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Definitly a procedure you'll want to do your self. It might take an hour with questions lol. Fergy said it well. Heck, if your central ohio area I'd help you out. Welcome to the group!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
If you want it done right, do it yourself. Fergy's how-to makes it simple. Fixing to do my second lube soon.

If you are absolutely, positively going to have it done, bring your bike and your money here. I'll do it for less than the shop, and use the proper lubricant!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the input. I know you folks think I should do it myself, but sometimes I have a hard time finding the right end of a hammer.

I would feel better having a pro do it. The local Kawi dealer is very good and has an excellent reputation. I work a block from them and do some other business with them Never heard a bad word about them.

So it shouldnt be alot is what I am gathering from these posts.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
If the tires on your 2004 tire are original or 5 or more years old, then they need to be replaced, regardless of thread and condition. Mounting new tires is the best time to spline lube because removing the rear tire is most of the work. My dealer did the spline lube on my '06 when I had my tires mounted last spring. Charged for grease and orings, but not the labor since I payed a flat rate of $90 for the tire mount and balance.
Yep, if you need to let the dealer do it, also if you need a new rear tire do both at the same time...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I appreciate the input. I know you folks think I should do it myself, but sometimes I have a hard time finding the right end of a hammer.

I would feel better having a pro do it. The local Kawi dealer is very good and has an excellent reputation. I work a block from them and do some other business with them Never heard a bad word about them.

So it shouldnt be alot is what I am gathering from these posts.
If you must go this way, I would recommend at the least that you pick up a 3 oz tube of Honda Moly 60 and insist they use it on your splines. I can almost guarantee they will not have Moly grease in their shop and will use regular axle grease otherwise.

The most overlooked scheduled maintenance item in a shaft drive motorcycle manual is the drive shaft spline lube. There are plenty of techs in motorcycle shops that have never done this procedure and wouldn't know what you are even talking about. I took my bike the day after I bought it to the shop in Conroe that everyone recommended, the shop that had the great reputation, and you saw my original post in this thread and know what they did, so I'm just emphasizing that you proceed with caution!

Not to beat a dead horse, but this would be a great time for you to learn which end of the hammer is the business end! Where are you located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I know, my wife tells me that all the time. But I work alot of hours and I prefer to be just mechanically inclined enough to get me out of jams. The rest I will gladly pay for - besides it stimulates the economy! :smiley_th

I am in the Albany NY area where winter has planned on staying right through the Fourth of July this year! Snow and rain predicted for the weekend. :(

Where can I get this Honda Moly 60 stuff? Local Honda dealers have it?

This forum is great! The posts have answered most of my questions. I am sure I will have more.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Most Honda shops stock it. You might call ahead so they can get it if they're out. Make sure you get it back after they do the job as it only takes about half or less of the tube to do the job. No use in wasting or "donating" the unused portion! ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Definitely call the dealer ahead of time and tell them what you want done, and that you want to make sure they have the grease in stock.

Did mine myself, but still had to hunt down a dealer that had it in stock. One said they should have, but after a week of waiting I went to a dealer further away that actually had it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts