Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a question, can I change only the spline coupling without changing the spline on the rear wheel ? everything else looks good. I look last nite at the forum but did not see it listed. thanks OLLIE sorry i listed it again not really good with a computer.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I have a question, can I change only the spline coupling without changing the spline on the rear wheel ? everything else looks good. I look last nite at the forum but did not see it listed. thanks OLLIE sorry i listed it again not really good with a computer.
Normally the splines in the coupling and those on the pinion shaft of the final drive wear out at about the same rate.

But if your pinion splines are still in good shape there is no reason not to try just changing the coupling.

The final drive is not easily repaired outside a Kawi shop as some special tools are required.
So it is not really practical for us DIY guys to replace the pinion spline shaft on the final drive.
When the final drive splines wear out we have to look for a whole final drive unit from someone here or on Ebay.

You may have to buy both the driveshaft and coupling together.
The driveshaft normally does not need to be replaced because the splines on it are not subject to much movement.
You will need a pair of internal snap-ring pliers to get the coupling off the driveshaft.
We do it this way because it is easier to change just the coupling than the whole driveshaft/coupling combo.

Good luck with finding a coupling and getting the bike on the road.:smiley_th

·
Registered
802 Posts
I picked a drive shaft and coupling up on ebay for 30 bucks a while back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I got coupling coming today and I have a lead on 92 parts bike with a bad motor but all intact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts