Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there is any way to adjust the speedometer so that it shows the actual speed rather than the inflated speed that we know it does? I'd rather see exactly the speed that I'm traveling rather than some other number.

·
2,527 Posts
Nothing I've ever seen here to adjust it other than changing you front tire size.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Yeah, the VN750 speedometer is not adjustable, and I don't recommend changing any motorcycle tire size from stock. I rode with a cheap GPS mounted on the handlebar for a while, and learned just what the actual speeds are. At an indicated 80 mph, you are actually going 75 mph, the freeway speed limit in my state. I checked it at several speeds, and figured out just how far off it is. It is not just the Vulcan 750 that has this problem, ALL motorcycles, cars, and trucks do. My '97 Harley Road King speedometer says "certified" on it, it's off about the same as the Vulcan. For some unknown reason (I've heard several that didn't make much sense) all vehicle manufacturers purposely design their speedometers this way.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured that was the case, but thought I'd ask.

And I, too, have seen that all do this. Or at least, most. Because it seems that our Mazda Protege actually seems to be accurate: 75 on the speedometer is 75 on the GPS.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Speedometer? What the hell is that? Is it that thing that tells you how many miles your bike has traveled and has the clock with the missing hand?

If I ever care how fast I am really going... I'll use my GPS.....or I just wait and a kindly officer will pull me over and tells me how fast I was going.

Or you could just try doing the math in your in head. (subtract roughly 10% of the indicated speed)

Going to a 110 tire in front makes it alot closer, but then the odometer will be off.

Unfortunetly we do not have an electronic speedometer, as there is a product to adjust those.

KM

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
The 10% over rule works pretty good that KM mentioned. I put the 110 on my bike and loved how it felt and handled, in my opinion, much better than the stock 100.
Strangely enough, my speedo on my 1500 is pretty close to dead on with both my GPS's, and has the stock size tires on it. first I've seen like this.

I think my buddy's 01 Shadow 750 is off by more than 10% cause right after he got it and was getting back into riding after 20 years, he followed me on his first road trip and when we stopped the first time he was freaked out about how I was speeding every where we went! I typically ride the speed limit, and had been riding a little slow for him but he didn't know about the speedo thing. So he wasn't used to highway speeds yet and had the inflated speedo scaring him.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Yup, nothing wrong with the bigger front tire. I love it too. I've checked it with a gps & it's off by about 2mph.[/QUOTE]

By this do you mean that it still reads 2 mph high at highway speed of 60 mph? ie. speedo reads 60mph and GPS reads 58?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Yup, nothing wrong with the bigger front tire. I love it too. I've checked it with a gps & it's off by about 2mph.[/QUOTE]

By this do you mean that it still reads 2 mph high at highway speed of 60 mph? ie. speedo reads 60mph and GPS reads 58?
Sorry about that. It's 2mph under.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts