Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Speedometer stopped working suddenly, along with the other stuff in that same unit. Any suggestions on where to start the troubleshooting?
Unscrew the cable at the speedometer and see if the cable is broken.

You can spin the front wheel and see if the cable turns or gently pull the cable and see if the top four inches is broken off. That's what happened to mine.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I took it loose from the wheel first because it was easiest. Then I had to take it loose from the head unit anyway because the broken part was at that end and it was stuck there. I went to a motorcycle "junkyard" here and picked up another cable that was longer and cut it down until it worked. I am cheap. I knew it was bad when I pulled it apart because it was dry. I lubed the "new" one with graphite but some say white lithium works better. Good luck.

Reactions: Grizzlyonu

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm glad that you were able to find one that will work. The inner cable's shape is the same as the cable in my 1970 Rancheros. Of course finding a speedometer cable for them can be problematic at times. Anyway, congratulations on sorting it out and fixing it yourself. The part.you found was what you needed and was pretty cheap, I mean affordable. If you are desperate and depending on where you live, the inside cable is the same as on many older vehicles. There is a local speedometer repair shop for cars and pickups that can/will sell the correct length inner cable if you provide them with the length needed. Also sometimes you can get speedometer cables from a junkyard for cars that can work unless the outer sheath is damaged.

Reactions: Grizzlyonu
1 - 9 of 9 Posts