Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll I just replaced the cable and the speedo is not reading any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Hey ya'll I just replaced the cable and the speedo is not reading any suggestions?
Probably missed the connection on the inner cable on one end or the other,if it worked before the new cable .If not, Bad news on the speedo itself !

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Give it a good solid tap or hit the innards with a blast of canned air. What happens sometimes is little bits of crud get into the gears (And that is all that is inside the speedo)
Is it all not working or just parts of it? Is the tripometer and odometer still advancing and just the speed not registering? If some part of it is working then the cable is doing its job and part of the gears are just stuck. The canned air seems to dislodge it best.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Another thing to check is the geared mechanism at the wheel itself. The gears in there will sometime freeze up and the tabs that turn with the wheel bend so the wheel still turns. Pull the cable off the speedo and lift the front tire off the ground to spin it and see if the cable turns. Also if it is froze up you may here a grinding sound in the wheel hub. The part is only around $15 at the stealership.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine was the gear box this time. Ordered the whole assembly, bearings, and seals. Waiting for a nice day to install.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mine was the gear box this time. Ordered the whole assembly, bearings, and seals. Waiting for a nice day to install.
Yeah that is usually the second thing to go after the cable if not lubed regularly. You can remove the cable from it and use a needle greaser to get some grease in there but the best way is to remove the wheel and grease it that way.

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have been hit with rain and cold weather so have not had a chance to check it out yet.

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well found out the gear at the wheel was caked in mud and muck now it works downside is now I know how fast I was going. LOL :0

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Well found out the gear at the wheel was caked in mud and muck now it works downside is now I know how fast I was going. LOL :0
If you are scaring yourself with the mind numbing speed, relax because the speedo reads ~10% high with the OEM 100/90-19 front tire. LOL :hitanykey

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well to update I will now be the only person doing the work on my ride as the MORON at the local bike shop did not secure my caliber back to my fork and it came off today at 35 mph. Great way to start out your morning. No damage to bike but the Mech may have some on Tues!!!!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Well to update I will now be the only person doing the work on my ride as the MORON at the local bike shop did not secure my caliber back to my fork and it came off today at 35 mph. Great way to start out your morning. No damage to bike but the Mech may have some on Tues!!!!
More reasons to learn to wrench your own ride.
http://lifeisaroad.com/wrenching.html:wow:

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I learned to do my own wrenching from day one...about 40 years ago. After a good 2-4 years of this I found I could do anything a "competent" wrench could do at a bike shop. (Trouble was of course finding a "competent" wrench back then)

I even ended up working at a shop awhile as the owner noticed I knew more than the guy he just hired.

My view on this really has been that motorcycles really need to be maintained right, as many times much more than cars, your life kinda depends on it.

So , it boils down as to who you trust more with your life, yourself, or someone you likely do not even know?

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I learned to do my own wrenching from day one...about 40 years ago. After a good 2-4 years of this I found I could do anything a "competent" wrench could do at a bike shop. (Trouble was of course finding a "competent" wrench back then)

I even ended up working at a shop awhile as the owner noticed I knew more than the guy he just hired.

My view on this really has been that motorcycles really need to be maintained right, as many times much more than cars, your life kinda depends on it.

So , it boils down as to who you trust more with your life, yourself, or someone you likely do not even know?
KM
Amen to KM`s comments.

I think anyone with enough intelligence and co-ordination to ride a motorcycle can learn to do the basic maintenance and service work if he/she has the desire. The cost of the basic tools needed will soon be recovered by the savings from the labor and shop costs you don`t have to pay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts