Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.

I'm trying to wire up my new speedometer and I have no clue what goes where.
I know to some this my seem like a question that is way below newbie level, but I honestly have no idea what is what. The wiring diagram for the bike could literally just as well be Chinese and bar napkin doodles.

The attached photo is the entire "instruction" that came with the unit (Unacceptable considering the price of this thing).
I understand the basic premise, but I can't for the life of me figure out where any of these wires are supposed to go.
"to ignition" is useless as there are a boatload more than one wire on that thing.

Is there any chance I can simply hook it up to the same 2 pin connector the original speedo used? Not sure if that's even a 12V line but can't see why it wouldn't be.
If so, would both orange (light) and red (positive) just go to the same pin? If yes, Which of the two is the positive?

I'm also thinking that sticking a inline fuse on the red wire might be a good idea. Am I way off here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
what kind of speedo are you installing? pretty sure the original speedo is mechanical. so the only power is for the 2 lights that are inside the unit.

In the factor connector the black/yellow wire is your ground and the red/blue wire is your hot wire.

So for sure blue wire is going to go to the black/yellow wire. The red is going to the red/blue wire and it looks like the orange wire is just for the lights inside the unit. So the switch it optional, maybe? If so that would go to red/blue wire also.

The red/blue line is already fused in the junction box with a 10amp fuse, but you could always add another if you like.

how are you planning on this thing telling you how fast you are going? is it geared the same ratio as the factory? did it include a new speedo cable and gear assembly?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. It was exactly what I needed.

The new Speedometer uses GPS. No cable. Still just a regular speedo, just with a antenna instead of the cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts