Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Vulcan 750 with 43,000 miles on it. The speedometer stopped working yesterday. Is the culprit usually the speedometer itself or possibly just the cable? How would I check this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Mine went MIA a few weeks ago too. Check the cable, most likely culprit. Mine broke just about where the turn is going up to the speedo.

Best way is remove the cable, see if it is intact, or comes out in two pieces like mine did. Got new one from local Kaw dealer for around $ 20. New one is supposedly greased, but I greased it anyway.

If the cable is good, put it back on the bike and spin it form the bottom with a drill and see if the speedo works, if so, it's the sending unit on the wheel hub.

Jon

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I have a '99 also.
The speedo cable went out on mine around 34,000. It is an easy and somewhat cheap fix.
I believe it may have been Dianna who mentioned blowing air into the speedo housing if the cable isn't the problem.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Yep, If the cable is fine, means the gears are stuck with some debris.
(Sure way to tell is if odometer and tripometer are working and just the speedo quit.
If the blow out with compressed air doesn't dislodge it then a persuasive tap to the side of the bucket might get it to work again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad I found this site. You guys have been great with your advice and right on target. It's much easier getting the info. you need from people who share the same machine. Ride on!

Steve

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
sshatkin said:
I'm glad I found this site. You guys have been great with your advice and right on target. It's much easier getting the info. you need from people who share the same machine. Ride on!

Steve
Ok, so which thing worked for you? What fixed it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a broken cable. The bottom inch of cable that connects to the sender had snapped. I attached a drill to the remaining piece and was able to get the speedometer moving. $17.99 for a new cable at my local Kaw dealer and I should be fixed by early next week.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Same place mine broke.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My stepson's cable broke 2 days ago. I ordered the cable yesterday from
my local dealership. $20.99 w/tax. I expected just to order the cable, that
was in two, on the inside of the cable. The microfiche looked like it would be
the outside black too. The bike has about 16,000 miles on it.

Okay, now to the lubrication question. What should I get? Chain lube? I
think WD40 is way too thin. And, should I just disconect the Tachometer
and spray, squirt what ever lube in there too?

Thanks, Herb

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
What others have done is use either moly or some other good quality grease and pull the cable out of the housing and grease it from tip to toe, slide it back in the housing and install it. The housing I referring to is the outer cable. Hope this helps. I've read not to use any liquid oil or spray grease as it will dissolve the thicker grease which is supposed to be used. It will be my first time so I'm going by what I read here and yahoo group.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
My stepson's cable broke 2 days ago. I ordered the cable yesterday from
my local dealership. $20.99 w/tax. I expected just to order the cable, that
was in two, on the inside of the cable. The microfiche looked like it would be
the outside black too. The bike has about 16,000 miles on it.

Okay, now to the lubrication question. What should I get? Chain lube? I
think WD40 is way too thin. And, should I just disconect the Tachometer
and spray, squirt what ever lube in there too?

Thanks, Herb
Agree with Fergy, I use regular brown bearing grease. Remove inner cable from sleeve, pull through rag with glob of grease on it, slide back into the sleeve, install, done. Annual greasing should help longevtiy of the cable.

The tach is electric not mechanical, wouldn't spray anything in there.

Jon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts