Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got "project bike" running, still have a few bugs to work out.
The speedometer doesn't work, and I was told by PO that it did when he stopped riding it 2+ years ago. The odometer works, so I'm thinking that the cable is fine. Is there a way to open and repair a speedometer? I know Uncle Sam has rules against messing with odometer, but is there a way to open and fix the other stuff? I haven't seen any on ebay, and I don't want to pay for new. Local law enforcement probably won't buy " I didn't know how fast I was going".

Please help
Thanks
Bob

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
It involves a very lengthy process of working the back edge of the bezel ring out with a fine screwdriver and you can end up slicing up your fingers pretty good. Plus there is the process of bending it all back and getting it smooth afterwards
I'd try blowing it out with some compressed air (like the canned air for cleaning ketboards)
Surprisingly enough sometimes just a solid whack gets it working again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dianna said:
I'd try blowing it out with some compressed air (like the canned air for cleaning ketboards)
Surprisingly enough sometimes just a solid whack gets it working again.

I like the "whack" fix. I had a computer repair tech tell me to do that to a hard drive on an old "system 36" machine, and it worked. I'll try the whack first, then the compressed air if that doesn't work.

I've been watching ebay for a while, and haven't found one yet.

Thanks
bob

·
Registered
659 Posts
There is a guy who has been parting-out an 86 model on E-bay. I considered bidding on the tach , but decided it was too old to trust. I'm pretty sure he had the speedo on there too.

To replace the speedo or tach, how much do you have to take apart?

Joe

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
One from an '86 sold on ebay a couple of daze ago for $51

bkyser said:
I like the "whack" fix.
I call it a "Technical Tap" :hitanykey
I believe they also used that as an official term on one of the Apollo missions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When in doubt, go with the easiest fix. Diana's "whack" fixed it right up. Had it out last night, reached down from a dead stop and nothing.. tried it one more time while riding, and ...... it did the trick.

Thanks again
Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
My speedo is showing 8 mph high at 65 mph per my iPhone app; speedodometer At 30 mph indicated, it is high by 4 mph. Would cable lube help? How to do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.