Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found out today after taking my bike for the first ride around the block after changing fluids that my speedometer is not working at all or the odometer, will be looking into it tomorrow but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem & if it's a common problem what is the area I should focus on, the wheel or the speedo end of it ?
Since I just bought this bike I can't say for sure that it worked when I got it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Found out today after taking my bike for the first ride around the block after changing fluids that my speedometer is not working at all or the odometer, will be looking into it tomorrow but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem & if it's a common problem what is the area I should focus on, the wheel or the speedo end of it ?
Since I just bought this bike I can't say for sure that it worked when I got it.
The speedometer housing gears are probably locked up in the wheel area. The reciever for it is also propbably ruined now. I just repaired mine. PITA

·
Registered
319 Posts
yeah, this just happened to me. Went on a 45 mile ride one way and both stopped working. Real easy fix for me just had to tighten the nut behind the speed/odometer. If that's not end check the cable at the other end. Hopefully you are as lucky as I was with this fix!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what is it if the odo is still working, but the speedo is not?
That sounds like it is in the speedo housing itself which doesn't look too hard to get into, once I check mine later and have a look in there I'll see if there is anything obvious look for. Clymer manual doesn't really get into any troubleshooting other than checking the assembly down at the wheel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so what is it if the odo is still working, but the speedo is not?
So after looking at parts phish on cheapcycleparts.com I seen that other than lights, hardware,& wiring, the gauge itself is one assembly so unless you remove the gauge to see if it can be disassembled, I think your looking at a new gauge.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
the cable is an easy fix. you can find one online for about $12 bucks and it takes about 5 minutes to install.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the cable is an easy fix. you can find one online for about $12 bucks and it takes about 5 minutes to install.
Thanks Chris, ordered it last monday & installed on saturday, luckily that was the only problem with that, now I need to troubleshoot my temp. gauge :doh:

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
My temp gauge has a broken wire between the fan and the engine. I would look there.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
The temp guage is fed off the temp probe, located on the thermostat housing under the tank. The fan switch probe is the one located on the bottom left(sitting on bike) of the rad. That one only turns the fan on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, finally had a chance to look it over in the clymer manual which seems to give good instructions and part locations to troubleshoot this problem. After I'm finished recovering from my surgery and can get a chance to dig into it, I'll post what I find

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Since there's already a thread on Speedo problems I thought I'd post here. My speedometer gets all wibbly wobbly. Not a ton, but about 5mph of wiggling when i'm running around 50mph. Is this normal or is there something I can do to correct it?

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
I'll try that once I figure out how to do it lol. Is there anything in the Verses? Or is it simple. What do I lube it with?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'll try that once I figure out how to do it lol. Is there anything in the Verses? Or is it simple. What do I lube it with?
Unscrew the cable from both the speedo and wheel, they are thumb nuts but you might need a pair of pliers to loosen, and remove from bike, then simply pull the cable out of the sheath. Use lithium grease & spray through sheath til it comes out the other side, also spray down cable then reinsert back into sheath, wipe off the excess and reinstall on bike.
Do yourself a favor and order the clymer manual for the bike, it has all the info you need on complete bike and only costs around $30 depending on where you get it from.
I think there is also a manual download here that you can download

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Thanks, I have the downloaded manual, I'll take a look

1 - 17 of 17 Posts