Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my tire over the weekend. I thought about oiling this speedometer cable. What oil do you guys typically use for this?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Cable lube or white lithium

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Have always used white lithium because it's on my shelf. Never had any cable lube in the shop.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have always used white lithium because it's on my shelf. Never had any cable lube in the shop.
Do you use the tubes or aerosol sprays? Going to order some. Thanks! And does the brand of the White Lithium Grease really matter?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I buy CRC brand at AZ since it's close by. Never had a problem (used the spray can). It's also used on a few other points on the bike so it's good to keep around anyways.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Speedo cable should be lubed with grease, not regular cable lube (oil)
I use marine grade wheel bearing grease. The cable spins, it doesn't just move back and forth like a clutch cable.

Pull the cable out of the housing and rub the whole length of it with any all purpose grease...

White lithium grease is "too light" in my opinion. It's fine for levers, or pivot points that are not under high stress or high speeds.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I have used anything and everything to lube speedometer cables, from WD-40 to moly paste. It all seems to work. LPS #2 works great. But the thinner the lube, the more often you need to lube it. I still have 3 bikes that have actual cables instead of wires. I have been using BelRay waterproof grease on the cables recently. It is similar to a wheel bearing grease, no moly in it, but it is waterproof, and seems to last a long time. It is also not lithium, it is dark blue/green in color. It is very "stringy" I have stretched it out over 6" before between my fingers.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
What type, what brand, what store,.........but there was no question as to the exact application process and which hand did the rubbing. lol Do you start at the speedometer end or the opposite end? These are the real questions. I guess some are just eager to learn every single trick and don't want to leave anything to chance. Good luck, Ryeloc, and be sure to take this in the comical way it was meant. If you don't know and you don't ask you may never find out till it is too late. Keep asking and keep learning.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I just lubed the clutch cable, throttle cable (yes, I only have one), rear brake cable, and speedometer cable on my bike with chain lube. It's what I use on my 2 chain drive bikes. BelRay "Clean" spray lube. It is a bright white color. Because it is a chain lube, it goes on as a liquid, then the solvent dries, leaving this slippery white powderish stuff. I believe it has Teflon in it. The cables work great, and it works great on chains. Absolutely does not come off if you let it dry 15 min before riding. I bought a case of it, so I'm using it on everything. I'm only on my second speedometer cable, and it has only been on there a couple years. I have actually seen stuff in spray cans before that said "cable AND chain lube"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts