Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took apart the Cluster to weld the bracket for the tachometer (it broke and was held still by a twig). I unscrewed the cable for the speedo and took it out. Put everything back together and the speedo wont work. Is there some special way that metal cable connects inside the speedo? I tried just putting it back in and it won't work.

Ideas?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Cable might be broken. Test by either unhooking both ends and spinning the core by hand or pulling it out of the sleeve. You can feed that back through no problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
^x2.

Cables are a pretty inexpensive fix, usually $10-$15. Just don't try to order them through a dealer, they will gig you. My local dealer quoted me $30 just to sell me the cable. Went home and checked eBay...$11 for a brand new OEM cable.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
There should be a square end (about a 16th" square) and a flat end. Square end goes in the speedometer. Could be the speed drive and not the cable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it works the same as my '82 KZ, (and I'm 99% certain that it does) the end of the cable is either flat or square-ish, and it inserts into a corresponding female socket inside the speedometer housing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You beat me to it as I was typing, jadabull. If the cable turns with the front wheel, it could also be a broken gear inside the speedometer itself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got same problem.

got the 2001 Vulcan, and the speedo doesn't work either. Any tips on if any special tools are needed to remove the cable to check that? Looks like a knurled threaded long nut on the gauge end, and a shorter one on the hub end.

Besides the square end goes to the gauge, any tips on removing those nuts and things to check ?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Pliers or channel locks work for me

·
Registered
54 Posts
was just a little stuck, got it off. Square end in speedo, slotted end in the hub sensor thingy. Cable does not appear to be broken as I could grab the speedo end and pull, and it didn't slide up. Just grungy grease on both ends, somewhat gritty on the hub end.

Looks like I'll need to examine the hub end for any gear issues. This sensor is one of those magnetic things, right? Anyone got a picture of the magnet assembly that is supposed to go past the sensor assembly?

Oh, and if it makes a difference, the odometer is not working either. Light on the Speedometer is working fine,Tach is working fine as is the rest of instrument cluster.

Kind of disconcerting attempting to learn how a new vehicle rides without a working speedometer.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
My speedo stopped working, after unhooking the cable at the tack and spinning the front wheel the cable would not turn. I pulled the cable only to discover that it was good. Next I unscrewed the lower end, slid a flatblade screwdriver in the housing and got it lightly hooked in the gear slot. Turned the wheel and still nothing.

Ok, At this point I suspected the little gears in the box are stripped so I pulled the front wheel. Gears in the box were fine but there is a little metal "cup" on the wheel itself with 2 large slots that the speedo gearbox hooks to. The rim of the little (around 1 1/2" diameter) cup on the wheel were flared out so that they no longer connected to the teeth in the speedo gear thingmajig. Using pliars I carefully bent the "cup" wall back up before remounting gearbox and wheel. The speedometer has worked perfectly since.

I have never figured out what caused the edges of the "cup" on the front wheel to flare out.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Don't have a pic but its not metallic.its driven off the center of the wheel. it has a groove into which the drive fits that is held in place on the wheel with a c clip.if the groove wears out it might not spin.i had to steal one off an old 440 ltd wheel i had lying around.that's the best i can explain it without a pic

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Foolami got it better than i did.but that's what i was thinking:smiley_th

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
The piece I'm talking about is copper colored metal. I took a pic of the "cup" on my spare wheel.
IMG_1284.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
and this is why I love communities like this. Post a question and in a short time I get solid helpful info to assist me. You folks rock! I'm quite happy I found this place.

Sadly, I have to work and then go to a viewing with family at a funeral home this evening, so I might not get a chance to work on the bike today.

Thanks again for all the help

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try whacking it a couple times. Mine goes out from time to time, and a couple of bytch slaps gets it in working order again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I attempted what I call "Neanderthal Maintenance" on it while riding, but of course with being in motion and my windscreen mounting hardware in the way, I couldn't do it properly. I'll try it while it's standing still and see if it behaves

1 - 20 of 31 Posts