Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i got on my bike today, and noticed my speedo wasn't working. Went on to town, ran my errands, came home, started tinkering.

Took the cable off, it seems in-tact and working.
I think it's either the speedo gauge or the gear thing down on the front wheel.
Took the front wheel off and the thing the cable connects to.
How do i determine if this is bad??

Has anyone had issues with this before? Or do u think its actually in the gauge itself? How do you take all that apart and check??

I found this diagram:
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/2663-kawasaki-2001-vulcan-750-vn750-a17/assemblies/73634

Thanks

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Honestly the piece down on the front wheel I would replace it. I don't know how to text them. Also you could also try just replacing the cable first. They are I think $25. Just an idea.

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly the piece down on the front wheel I would replace it. I don't know how to text them. Also you could also try just replacing the cable first. They are I think $25. Just an idea.
The cable seems on, its not broken, it spins and moves fine.
No need to replace that.

It's either that front gear hub assembly or its something inside the gauge.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Put the bike on the center stand and get the front wheel off the ground and spin it.
If the cable spins it is good.
Atach the cable to the speedo and put it in a drill and spin till the speedo moves to check it.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Put the bike on the center stand and get the front wheel off the ground and spin it.
If the cable spins it is good.
Atach the cable to the speedo and put it in a drill and spin till the speedo moves to check it.
Never thought of that way to test the speedo. Excellent point.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Had to replace my sending unit a few months ago. Did the drill trick first to make sure that it wasn't the cable and the speedo was working. I found Ron Ayers had the best price for the sending unit at that time.

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I got a new sending unit. Installed that and now it seems my Speedo is stripped and not working. So is it possible to tear it apart and fix it or do I have to replace the whole thing? The kawi dealer wants like 200$ for a new one. EBay is slim on them, can't find any worth a dam. Are there any other places to get them?? Or are there any aftermarket options??

Any help would be great.

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I already determined it wasn't the gear hub on the front wheel by replacing it with a new one. I now know it is the actual Speedo gauge . Still need help with a solution.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Ok so I got a new sending unit. Installed that and now it seems my Speedo is stripped and not working. So is it possible to tear it apart and fix it or do I have to replace the whole thing? The kawi dealer wants like 200$ for a new one. EBay is slim on them, can't find any worth a dam. Are there any other places to get them?? Or are there any aftermarket options??

Any help would be great.
This one is a little less than Ma Kaw`s, ($175) but not much.:(
http://www.indyoem.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=392817&category=Motorcycles&make=KAWASAKI&year=1991&fveh=9040

If the old one is not working, you have nothing to lose by trying to open it up and see if it can be repaired. Just my $0.02 cents worth.

There are a couple of good looking speedos on ebay right now. One for $110, the other for $100.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3872.m39.l1313&_nkw=vulcan+750+vn+speedometer&_sacat=

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i tore apart the dashboard assembly,of course to do that had to take off the headlight bucket. Man what a pain all that is.
Took the speedo off the assembly, un-hooked the wiring harness, and began to fiddle with it. At a closer look the input where the cable goes into seems fine. I put the cable in it, and hooked my drill up to the other end... got the drill going full speed... nothing... then i thought, well let's see something, ran the drill the other way... and the speedo moves... lol

Ok so, now i put it all back together, and it seems almost like the cable isn't staying in there and the speedo is spotty, bumpy, it wont run smooth.... the dial jumps up and down alot around 20mph.. it ran fine and smooth when in the drill...

The speedo cable, are you suppose to be able to pull the metal cord out of the rubber sleeve???
It just seems that its not getting and staying up in the speedo where its suppose to be.

Either that or something is wrong on the shaft/wheel where the speedo worm gear drive is. Anyone had any issues down there with the teeth or grooves that the gear goes into and turns the drive??
Its almost as if its jumping a tooth, causing the speedo dial to go up and down ...

Peace

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
well i tore apart the dashboard assembly,of course to do that had to take off the headlight bucket. Man what a pain all that is.
Took the speedo off the assembly, un-hooked the wiring harness, and began to fiddle with it. At a closer look the input where the cable goes into seems fine. I put the cable in it, and hooked my drill up to the other end... got the drill going full speed... nothing... then i thought, well let's see something, ran the drill the other way... and the speedo moves... lol

Ok so, now i put it all back together, and it seems almost like the cable isn't staying in there and the speedo is spotty, bumpy, it wont run smooth.... the dial jumps up and down alot around 20mph.. it ran fine and smooth when in the drill...The speedo cable, are you suppose to be able to pull the metal cord out of the rubber sleeve???
It just seems that its not getting and staying up in the speedo where its suppose to be.

Either that or something is wrong on the shaft/wheel where the speedo worm gear drive is. Anyone had any issues down there with the teeth or grooves that the gear goes into and turns the drive??
Its almost as if its jumping a tooth, causing the speedo dial to go up and down ...

Peace
I have replaced a few speedometer cables in my cars and trucks over the years. I have never had to use a drill to spin the cable to determine if the speedo head was operational. Got someone to sit in the car and just twirled the other end of the cable with my finger tips to get the speedo needle to move. I guess the drill would be more definitive, but not really necessary to determine if the cable and speedo head are connected.

I don`t know what the drive ends on the vn speedo cable are like, but all auto drive cables I am familiar with are just pressed into a square shape, maybe 1/8" diameter, and slides into a female receptacle at either end. I think one end usually has a plastic locating collar about an inch or so back.

I suspect if you were spinning the speedo cable at the drills full speed, you may have stripped some of the teeth off the little plastic gears in the speedo head, or stripped out the cable connection just like stripping out a screw head with a power driver.

How fast was the speedo reading when you were spinning it with the drill?

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have a similar problem... my speedometer cable was broken since I bought the bike. I used the center stand and turned the wheel to see if the front wheel hub was ok and it was, I used the tip from the cable to see that it really was spinning quite well.

So I ordered a speedo cable and put it in. I got on the bike, went off and it started making this weird sound... speedo seemed like it was gonna work, but the sound was there... however, after like 1 minute or 2 it stopped working and just started jumping around in a manner similar to what you describe.

I believe the speedometer's internals are what's really wrong in this case. I haven't opened mine up, but I really think it's the internal gearing. I should have opened it up and cleaned the inside of it after nor working for so long.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I got my bike the speedo did not work, ordered a new gear assy, and it still did not work, noticed that the part on the wheel that the notch goes into was opened up so it never spun the gears to make the speedo cable turn, bike had been sitting quite a while before I got it, so I figure the gears seized and when it got rolling again it opened up the wheel part (before I ordered the new gears). I took a hammer and gently bent the part back into round so the notch would stay on the groove, worked like a charm.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
mine works but it bounces around a bunch does anyone have this problem??

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the needle is bouncing, try lubing the cable. If it's the unit, just brace it up. many have use a bit of rubber hose, I believe. I use a small block of hi-density foam to slow down the bounce.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts