Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1998 vulcan and purchesed a 1986 dash. The three wiring connections are a 4 plug and two 6 plugs. The problem is my wiring harness has two 6 plugs and a 2 plug. Question, figured out it's the speedo that is a 4 and it's suppose to go to a 2 plug. Could it be the blinker shut off? If so, what now?

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blinkers are fine.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
While I haven't had to play with my dash wiring I do know that early year models, like '85 and '86 had self canceling blinkers which later models didn't have so the harness may be different. Like SlimVulcan said if your 2 plug will fit where the 4 plug on the dash is (you may need to do a bit of wiring) and your blinkers work run with it.

Time to pull out the voltage meter and get to tinkering on it, That or sell your '86 dash and find a newer model dash.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I'd suspect that the additional two prongs (2 instead of 4) are like boar's tits on your newer bike. The two on your harness are probably a pos and neg for running the speedo light with 2 spare grounds that were part of the self canceling blinkers when the bike had them.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree. Found an old speedo and replaced the wiring. Thanks all.:beerchug:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts