Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer housing is cracked! im not too hung up on looks, but i really dont want moisture in there... anyone know where to look? might be using some electrical tape in the meantime

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
If it is just the chrome plated plastic cover, moisture will not get into the speedometer itself. It is a sealed unit. The chrome plastic is just for looks and is not sealed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the speedo's and tachs all the same for each year? i have a 2002 and just curious if something from lets say a 92 will work

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
All the speedo's and tachs all the same for each year? i have a 2002 and just curious if something from lets say a 92 will work
...someone correct me if I am in error.

85 - 2006 all the same except:
85 = 700cc --different jugs - heads etc.
85 - 90 (or 91?) Rectangular Master Cylinder
91 & up = Round Master Cylinder (has different lever mount)
All else - - only cosmetic - paint, chrome vs brushed alum. etc.
Only 2003 - 2006 have Chrome Speedo & Tach Bezel Rings

:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
...someone correct me if I am in error.

85 - 2006 all the same except:
85 = 700cc --different jugs - heads etc.
85 - 90 (or 91?) Rectangular Master Cylinder
91 & up = Round Master Cylinder (has different lever mount)
All else - - only cosmetic - paint, chrome vs brushed alum. etc.
Only 2003 - 2006 have Chrome Speedo & Tach Bezel Rings

:smiley_th

The early models had self canceling turn signals as well. Not sure what years. As far as I know my former '93 and my current '02 had exactly the same instruments

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Self canceling signals 86 and 87. 1985-1991 had the prime instead of reserve on the fuel petcock. But as far as gauges go, they are all the same... Dash is different electrical wise between a California model and a non CA bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looking at a luggage rack off an 03', but im not sure what engine size it is... is the fitament for that sort of thing universal as well?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Luggage racks are not year dependent.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
There are 2 different designs of the VN750 luggage rack. Both fit, but the later one seems to fit better. There have been no changes to the bike where the rack mounts.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Speedos are interchangeable between all years, so any scoot made for the US and CA markets should be fine.
My Canadian bike has none of the exhaust emission junk and the speedo is marked in kilometers instead of miles.

Self canceling signals 86 and 87. 1985-1991 had the prime instead of reserve on the fuel petcock. But as far as gauges go, they are all the same... Dash is different electrical wise between a California model and a non CA bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
History of the VN700/750 as we know it:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1771&highlight=color+year

Wiring harness is different for early models with self cancelling signals, and for bikes made for sale in Europe.
May be different for bikes made for sale in Pacific Oceania islands too.

Slim, the early model petcocks with the RES, ON and PRIME function were only used for 4 years I believe, 1985 to 88.
No OFF position on the early models. They relied on the vacuum shut off switch to work. :)
My '91 has the newer one with RES, ON and OFF.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts