Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer doesn't seem to work, but I've only been hitting <20mph because the bike is currently in a private community. What's the most comment problem that causes this and what can I do about it?

Best,
Andrey Koltsov

1995 Vulcan 750

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The speedometer cable is held in place behind the speedometer with a nut like thing and the same at the front wheel (clutch side of the bike). If you loosen one of those you can pull out the cable and see if it is broken. You can lube it then too if it's not.

I would say a broken cable is probably most common. The speedometer itself could have stripped gears in which case you would need a new speedometer since ours aren't really serviceable. To check that, keep the nut fastened at the wheel and spin the wheel to see if the cable at the speedometer end turns. If it does, chances are it's going to be the speedometer itself.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
The cable can break inside the jacket, the square end at the speedometer can be stripped too much to engage the gears, or enough to slip and give you wrong readings.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When mine wouldent work the gears on the wheel were bad....i could spin the wheel and stop the cable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts