Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have trouble replacing the speedo cable? Was told by the previous owner of my '95 Vulcan (I've had it about 2 weeks) that he had just replaced the cable. While riding about a week ago, the speedometer quit a few miles from home. When I got off I found the cable unattached at the speedometer. I could not get the cable to attach back as it appeared to be too short. Thinking the former owner had used a wrong cable, I ordered a new one from the local Kaw dealer. When I got home with the new one and compared it to the one that was on the bike, they were the same length! I then tried every routing possible but was unable to connect at both ends. I did a search here and found where someone mentioned getting a cable from Dennis Kirk. I went to that site, looked up the cable and found the length of the correct one to be 40 in. and, you guessed it, both cables I have measure 40 in. I then experimented again with routing and finally found a route that, with the bike on the side stand, allowed connection at both ends. The speedometer works now but the cable is streached taunt when the bike's on the center stand. I'm afraid it's going to pull off one end or the other. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
572 Posts
maybe its the piece in the front wheel...... mine broke, its simple to change

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Have ya checked that the hook-up for the speedo on the wheel is in the correct position?
It should face to the rear of the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Have ya checked that the hook-up for the speedo on the wheel is in the correct position?
It should face to the rear of the bike.
ok and 1 tip is, the pin that u see in the diagram, it only goes in.. u cant push it out. u have to drill it out, when ur dun put another pin in it

·
Registered
185 Posts
ok and 1 tip is, the pin that u see in the diagram, it only goes in.. u cant push it out. u have to drill it out, when ur dun put another pin in it
What? I'm not understanding what your saying.

When I replaced my speedo cable about a month ago itwas indeed hard to make it reach. I started at the bottom. Worked it on, and kinda spun the other end of the rod with my fingers. Then when it felt seated I worked the mount nut thingie down. After the nut was in place I tried to work the rod back and forth and it didnt want to move, but I could hear clicking and contacting inside the wheel hub. Then I went up through the little holder loop behind the fender, behind the horns, and almost flollowed the clutch cablebehind the headlight up to the speedo. From that point the real struggle was holding enough tension on the cable with my right hand to give me a little slack (very little) while I fiddle and fumbled with the top end connector with my left hand that seemed too large for the space given but it DID eventualy go on, and screw in snug. Speedo works fine. Never noticed anythign being TOO snug or too short, but I certianly feel like an inch two of slack would be convenient.

Good luck.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The connection at the wheel should be pointing almost straight back where the cable just clears under the brake caliper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys. The connector at the front wheel is pointed back. When I sit on the bike, the cable clears the caliper but on the centerstand it pulls tightly against the caliper. The routing that I have it at now looks to be as straight as possible, but the cable does not go thru the wire holder. I have it zip-tied to keep it out of the wheel.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
With my bike on the center stand, the full lenght of the fork 36.5 in. from top all the way down. Could it be that the fork is longer than it should be??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hyperbuzzin and niterider,
Turns out the two of you were exactly right with your diagnosis! I went back for the third or fourth time looking at the situation and, this time, noticed that there are two boses on the small gearbox on the front axle. The one visable from the top was against the tab on the fork tube, making me think it was right but now I saw there was another boss further down that would allow the cable to point straight back. Moving the gearbox counterclockwise to where the lower boss was against the tab gave enough slack in the cable to put it back in the wire holder and still have enough length to not be taunt when the bike is on its centerstand. Thanks again for your help!!

Jerry

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
im talkin about the piece in the wheel
That piece shouldn't need replaced if just changing the speedo cable. But it wouldn't hurt to spray some lube into it.

Good to hear ya got it figured out, Jerry! :smiley_th

1 - 11 of 11 Posts