Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to take your advice and try to work on my bike myself this is my first bike and I don't consider myself very mechanical I was able to fix my kickstand switch and now my speedometer cable broke I bought a toolkit from ebay and a speedometer cable. when I replace this cable do I need to calibrate it or is it just as easy as hooking it up and going

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Hook it up and go. Just make sure to always pay attention to how things are situated/routed before you take them apart.

Taking pictures before disassembling anything is a really good practice

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Make sure the cable is lubricated before installing.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Might want to put a drop of locktite on the bottom connection. Had mine come off and it dropped the inner cable. Somewhere. :doh:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Make sure the cable is lubricated before installing.
What's a good lube for the cable? I got a new one today but haven't installed it yet. Does the entire cable get lubed or just the ends?
Thanks.

... later I found a note I made a few days ago.... use "white lithium grease" for the speedo cable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did it my first mechanical fix (if you can call it that). Saved myself $100 by changing a cable by myself! Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I did it my first mechanical fix (if you can call it that). Saved myself $100 by changing a cable by myself! Thanks for all the help.
Well done! Nothing more satisfying than being able to thumb your nose at the stealerships as you ride by. :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I dunno how long your speedo was inactive, but if you hear a buzzing/humming sound while the bike is rolling, stop and take off the cable, then open up and clean the speedo before putting it back on.

Mine was inactive for a loooong time and when I put my cable in, I guess it was really dirty inside cause it hummed and I thought it would go away but it seems something inside the speedometer broke instead. Just a heads up in case it happens to you.

·
Banned
448 Posts
You want to lube the whole cable. Not a whole lot of grease, I put a dab in my hand, and run the cable through the grease to coat it while twisting it to coat the cable all over.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You want to lube the whole cable. Not a whole lot of grease, I put a dab in my hand, and run the cable through the grease to coat it while twisting it to coat the cable all over.
I'm set to go with the lube

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Might want to put a drop of locktite on the bottom connection. Had mine come off and it dropped the inner cable. Somewhere. :doh:
Good job! Yeah Lock tite is a good idea. Make sure the "ahem" thumb screw at the base of the speedo is pretty tight. Dragged mine around for God nows how long until I happened to notice I was doing 0 mph ... doh!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts