Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to riding (besides the one time when I ran over a shrub on an isty bitsy tiny dirt bike when I was 6). Wanted something with a bit of nostalgia so I bought a beautiful 86. Original paint, not a scratch and looks GREAT! However, the one thing I have noticed not working is the speedometer AND tachometer. The needle in the speedo is not moving at all and the tach one bounces but I am assuming it is from vibration. Is there something in common that would cause them both to stop or am I looking at two separate issues? Also, noticed the battery drains daily after charging at night. Talked to the previous owner and it is 4 years old. I am assuming that is the issue and getting a new one today.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Pull the speedometer cable and lube it up, stick it back in and see what happens, is it isn't broken. If it's ok, connect a drill up to it and see if you can get register anything on the dial. If you can't it might be stuck inside. Mine got stuck once while doing 75 on I-81. I reset the trip counter and all was good after that.

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts
They would be separate issues... The speedometer is mechinical and the tach is electrical. Your tach problem might be due to a bad battery or bad charging system. Make sure all your electrical connections are clean and solid, including your grounds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking the battery. Started it 3 times today since 7:30, and they third was tough. Did not risk another start so drove it home and got my car

·
2,528 Posts
If you run it with a weak or dying battery you could damage your charging system by putting too much strain on it then it will cost you some $$$ for that fix. Get a maintenance free battery if you can, they really help with the starting along with a set of NGK irriduim plugs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, just realized that yesterday. Is parked in the garage until I can get a battery tonight. Would rather spend 100 than several

1 - 6 of 6 Posts