Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedo and tach covers and badly corroded and pitted. I believe they are chrome over junk metal and therefore can't polish them. I do not think the covers alone are available, only seen them as complete speedo and/or tach at > $ 200, not an option.

Anyone done anything creative to make them look better?

Considering sanding, priming, and painting them?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The covers are not available by themselves. I sanded and painted mine black. They came out ok but I should have spent a litttle more time on them so they would look better.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
jdegreif said:
The covers are not available by themselves. I sanded and painted mine black. They came out ok but I should have spent a litttle more time on them so they would look better.
Ditto here. I painted mine black as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
i have a 2000 vn750 and mine are just starting to pit & corrode. my plan of attack is go get a piece of 3mm carbon fiber to make a dash with & apply a thin 0.015 mm carbon sheet around the ring covers. hope to do this by july or august. hope it turns out. ride safe, john

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a very common problem with our scoots. I painted mine black also and they came out pretty good. I was not smart enough to figure out how to get them off the bike easily so I painted them right on the bike with a can of spray paint

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
search the versus or other posts. Someone had found some covers for another bike that fit over the top of the upper cover.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have a look here : BikeBandit.com always comes through for you :D (I did discover them to be significantly cheaper than many other OEM parts sources...

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andro said:
Have a look here : BikeBandit.com always comes through for you :D (I did discover them to be significantly cheaper than many other OEM parts sources...
$ 196 for speedo & $250 for tach is WAY TOO rich for my blood.
I will sand and paint as others have done.
BTW: Ron Ayers is usually less expensive than Bikebandit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
93VN750 said:
$ 196 for speedo & $250 for tach is WAY TOO rich for my blood.
I will sand and paint as others have done.
BTW: Ron Ayers is usually less expensive than Bikebandit.
Uhh... you said you only wanted covers. Look at parts 14025C and 14025D - respectively, Cover, Speedometer ( $25.84 ) and Cover, Tachometer ( $25.96 ). no bashing BikeBandit! :D Admittedly, it still leaves the problem of chrome rings around 'meters, but... new chrome cups are better than nothing, hm?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andro said:
Uhh... you said you only wanted covers. Look at parts 14025C and 14025D - respectively, Cover, Speedometer ( $25.84 ) and Cover, Tachometer ( $25.96 ). no bashing BikeBandit! :D Admittedly, it still leaves the problem of chrome rings around 'meters, but... new chrome cups are better than nothing, hm?
I'm not bashing Bikebandit, just that there are instances when Ron Ayers is less $$.

My chrome cups are fine (of course), its the "rings" that are corroded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts