Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im perplexed :(

The light on my speedomiter has burned out. Is there any way to replce the bulb?

The lights are off and im traviling in the dark!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Have you tried removing the cover to see if youcan get to the bulb from behind?
I believe you can, I had my tach appart and there was a bulb there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Along this same line, my speedometer light is too dim and does not seem to distribute the light evenly over the entire speedometer. I can't read the odometer when I am driving at night because of this. The bike is a 2005 and has been that way since day-1. Anyone else have this situation?
Dan - Seattle

·
Registered
277 Posts
the speedo housing is sealed so no one can tamper with the odometer. i have heard either on this site or yahoo who have been able to work the housing apart to repair it, otherwise fabricate a LED lite outside the speedo to see it at nite

ride safe J

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
From looking at the micro fiche on Ron Ayers, it would look like the bulb could be removable, but I don't know for sure.

Have ya tried to pull it out?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
scratching head

I looked at the Gauge it has a phillips screw at back side if the housing. The only issue i can see is having to pull the dash apart to remove the unit. Will try this next month after i send my Tank, fenders, and side covers out for paint. :smiley_th

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
The rear cover should come off.
It's the trim ring around the front of it that isn't removable.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The whole back end of the speedo and tach are accessable. The bulb is replaceable as well. It does require you to take the "dash" apart and remove the speedo from its bracket but once the back cover is off, all the wiring and the like is removable from there. Just make sure you remove the speedo cable as well. The mechanism inside the speedo is sealed and you can't get to it without some major surgery and it would be hard to put back together as it's nylon but all else is fair game.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
The whole back end of the speedo and tach are accessable. The bulb is replaceable as well. It does require you to take the "dash" apart and remove the speedo from its bracket but once the back cover is off, all the wiring and the like is removable from there. Just make sure you remove the speedo cable as well. The mechanism inside the speedo is sealed and you can't get to it without some major surgery and it would be hard to put back together as it's nylon but all else is fair game.
Yep.... kinda a pain... i wonder how hard it would be to pull the nylon apart. i may see if i can find a beat up one on ebay to play around with... i would love to put in some nice red LED's

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
not into my eyes....lol... onto the gauges, red light is better for night use... although the relflection off my helmet might be cool.... 2 big round red lights lol..... >: )=

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
I think I was having a dumb moment.
its ok, i do that all the time...like the time i forgot to tighten the nuts to the driveshaft cover to the drive unit and rode 25 miles and lost a nut. good thing i had the axle bolt torqued down good....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its ok, i do that all the time...like the time i forgot to tighten the nuts to the driveshaft cover to the drive unit and rode 25 miles and lost a nut. good thing i had the axle bolt torqued down good....
Try dooing an oil change and not tightning the oil drain plug. it dropped out while i was in the fast lane on the freeway. Slip slip sliding away:doh:

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Try dooing an oil change and not tightning the oil drain plug. it dropped out while i was in the fast lane on the freeway. Slip slip sliding away:doh:
:rockon: Well glad your hear to talk about that one...i was both scared and humored when i read that one.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
That doesn't sound like it was a fun ride, Lurch ! :doh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts