Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedo on my 86 750 started dying on a ride the other day. Needle started oscillating, and gradually getting lower for about 20 minutes before finally stoping altogether. Thought it would be the drive cable, but checked and it's fine.

How'd I get a hold of a used speedo? Paying the $250 ish for a new one doesn't seem a good investment on a bike this old. Any ideas / leads welcome.

Lee

·
Registered
82 Posts
WAIT!!!!...before you go spend money on a new speedometer, check the sending unit on the front wheel. Mine went last summer. It's an easy fix, and only costs about $60.00.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you've recently had the front tire repaired or replaced, check to make sure that their tire equipment didn't "tweak" the gear in the front wheel hub that runs the speedometer. It happened to me.

The "gear" is actually a very lightweight piece of "tinny" material with two cogs on it that contact two notches in the speedometer gearbox outer gear. If a tapered object is inserted into the wheel hub, it can flare the cogs out and they will no longer contact the speedometer gear. The cogs simply spin around outside of the speedometer gear. I think it's this lightweight by design, so it will "give" if anything gets bound-up in the speedometer assembly. I simply bent the two cogs back toward the center of the hub, and the speedometer went back to working.

CD

·
Registered
62 Posts
I saw a speedo and cable on ebay about a week ago. Keep your eyes on there if you should really need to replace it. Chances are good, however, that there's only a loose connector somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts