Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a VN750 from 1986. I love the bike, it is so comfortable yet plenty of fun in corners as well!

Shortly after I got the bike, something strange happened to my speedo. When I first start the bike, it doesn't work. It doesn't show the speed, but it shows the distance travelled accurately. But after riding for about 10 minutes, it comes back to life!

Anybody experienced this before? I believe that the bike was previously garaged for quite a wile, so that may have had an affect. Are theses speedos difficult to take apart and put back together?

Thanks.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
The speedometers are sealed and designed to be "tamper-proof" so they can not be taken apart. The only part that does come off is the bucket.
You might take the bucket off and make sure the connections are clean and secure. The other thing to check is the cable and speedo drive at the wheel. Might try cleaning those and lube the cable with a moly grease to make sure it is operating smoothly

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dianna said:
The speedometers are sealed and designed to be "tamper-proof" so they can not be taken apart. The only part that does come off is the bucket.
You might take the bucket off and make sure the connections are clean and secure. The other thing to check is the cable and speedo drive at the wheel. Might try cleaning those and lube the cable with a moly grease to make sure it is operating smoothly
I put bit of oil in the speedo cable. That seems to have fixed the problem!

Thanks for the useful tips. I wouldn't have thought the speedo cable could have been causing that.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
The speedometer cable really should be greased. It is a quick job.
Remove the cable, the inner section pulls out, coat it with some marine grease (you can get a small tube in any auto parts store or kmart/walmart auto section etc.)

Before you remove the cable pay attention to how it is routed, etc so you can put it back the same way.

HarveyFromOz said:
I put bit of oil in the speedo cable. That seems to have fixed the problem!

Thanks for the useful tips. I wouldn't have thought the speedo cable could have been causing that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red Baron said:
The speedometer cable really should be greased. It is a quick job.
Remove the cable, the inner section pulls out, coat it with some marine grease (you can get a small tube in any auto parts store or kmart/walmart auto section etc.)

Before you remove the cable pay attention to how it is routed, etc so you can put it back the same way.
Thanks for that tip Red Baron.

I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi i have the same problem,my speedo cable has been greased,what i have noticed is that the clock fogs up on damp days.i think what is happening is the needle is sticking.i give the clock a sharp tap with a rubber coverd spanner and this brings the speedo to life

1 - 7 of 7 Posts