Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedometer and odometer on my '94 750 are not functioning at all. Could this be electrical?? The tach seems to be functioning properly, but neither it, or the Speedometer light up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pete

·
Registered
555 Posts
check the cables. If that's not the problem, unbolt the two bolts on the side of the cluster and take it off and check the wiring. It's very basic wiring. Could be a lose wire or something. As far as the light up problem that's probably just a bulb. I have a 94 vulcan 750 and had to replace the speed/tach because it was malfunctioning. So I bought two extra sets off of ebay.

·
2,504 Posts
Take the cable out from where it attaches to the mechanism on the front wheel. you could spin the wire inside the cable or see if it's broken.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cable was broken, thank you for the responses...... Do I need to lube any ends of the new cable before I install??? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
The cable was broken, thank you for the responses...... Do I need to lube any ends of the new cable before I install??? Thanks.[/QUOT

Yes, I use white lithium grease, tube not spray can. It will help stop your cable from breaking again.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ironically, I just walked out of home depot with a tube of white lithium grease.... Thanks for th quick reply!!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Might want to open up the speedo and clean it. Mine had the same problem, the cable was broken... I put on the cable and took the bike out. It worked fine for like 3 minutes then it started making a weird noise and now the speedo doesn't work. I bet it was dirty inside from not being used for a long time and this made it fail.

Just something you might wanna check before running it.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I opened up the Speed-O, blew it out a little, put the new cable on, and it works perfect now. Thanks for your help!! I went on my first ride by myself yesterday, did 150 miles, I'm hooked!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts