166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
View attachment 1376

View attachment 1377

View attachment 1378

View attachment 1379 Now you can all see why we CRUISE the roads..Amsoil man
Can You see the Bike???

A picture is worth a thousand words.

The Honda rider was traveling at such a 'very high speed', his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Police estimate a speed of (155 mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from wher e the collision took place.

All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Motorcycle Fair by the Police and the State Dept of Safety. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license.
At this speed (155 mph), the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have travelled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the police indicate that no actions were taken.

In other words, they didn't even have time to say or think anything!!!

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Well the rider deserved everything he got but its a shame that the families of the two other people has to suffer his stuipidity.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is some talk of speed on this web site. How fast our bikes should go and how to make them faster. I too have gone too fast and gotten a ticket to boot. Our bikes are more than fast enough, even a stock bike like mine. As a rider and a Funeral Director I think we all could be more careful.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Amsoil Man. That`s a very graphic series of images to keep in mind. I was talking to a nurse at the hospital yesterday, who has a 19 year old son that has been dirt biking for about 14-15 years. He now wants to get a street bike and it scares his mother half to death. After seeing this set of pics, it brings home again how real the danger she fears is.

It seems that the majority of members that post here regularly are in middle age or older. So maybe most of us have gotten past the time when we felt ten feet tall and bullet proof. There are many examples of riders on race tracks surviving accidents, at speeds as high as the young man who hit the car in the photos was travelling, and walking away from it. But they don`t have to worry about cars at intersections crossing in front of them, and there are softer barriers to hit when they do go down.

I know that I have said this before, but if any of us feel a need for this kind of speed, or you have younger family or friends who do, please find a track club where you can do it without putting yourself or members of the public in danger on the highway. Let`s help the young riders live to be old riders.

·
Registered
707 Posts
actually thye got that all wrong... see i dont have a truck to transport my bike in so i decided to put it in my car!!! wasiest way i could think of to transport it..

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
They should put limiters on our bikes at 100 mph.
No, they should put limiters on your bike cause you want one. Perhaps we should just let them out law motorcycles altogether...............

Sorry, but anyone posting "aftermath" photos of bike wrecks on a bike site is a tool. (Unless it is their wreck) Sorry Amsoil, but shame on you.

WE KNOW BIKES ARE DANGEROUS....we really don't need stories or photos.
Speed does not kill....stopping suddenly from anything over 35 mph can kill you. Ths idiot in the photo ran his bike INTO A CAR. If he was going 50 he likely be just as dead. If he had been driving a car that fast..he be dead too.

If the idea of going 100 mph on a bike frightens you... then you likely are someone that really should not be going that fast to start with.

KM

·
Registered
707 Posts
its not the fall that kills..... kinda have to agree with km on this one again... we alknowrisk of hoping onto our favorite metal steed every time we do it.... most of the time its not us that causes accidents sometimes it is.... either way we all know the consequences of our actions... if your willing to do 150+ on a bike then you must assume that you are willing to die also.. i dont know many people who are willing to stick a loaded revolver to their head and hope that the bullet is in the chamber.... think about it...

i do think that could sell for millions on ebay as "art" now that i look at it again..

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Back some time ago someone sent me an attached clip titled I believe tuck vs cycle... That was one gruesome video bit, this loaded tandem (I believe) truck hit this cyclist from the rear and runs over him and drags him to almost just one big red smear on the road... It was so bad I'll bet I deleted it, anyway I can't find it...
Maby someone else has it and will share... Not the cyclists fault this time anyway...
So don't let a big ole truck get too close on your tail, go ahead and get out of Dodge...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
802 Posts
A long (very) time ago, I worked at a print shop. Had a lawyer that used to come in and get color copies of photos he used in lawsuits. One involved a motorcycle and an 18 wheeler. Bike was in school zone, doing the speed limit. Truck came up, and didn't see the biker. Right front tire of the truck caught the bikers leg and pulled him under. Needless to say, the pictures were not pretty. Imagine having all your internal organs pushed out through your neck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lets hope none of our brothers ever get tangled in a mess like that, i agree with knifemaker, 50 can kill, and i'll bet that VW WASENT EVEN MOVING.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Not only will I not do 100 mph in any vehicle, I really don't want anyone else doing it on public roads. It's downright irresponsible to subject other vehicle operators and passengers to the possible consequences! It's dangerous enough out there without throwing some individuals selfish desire to go faster than the law allows into the mix. Folks, we have a moral responsibility to look out for each other! I'm not going to intentionally do anything that I know might hurt you, and I'd like you to reciprocate!

As far as being a tool for showing these pics, I disagree emphatically. It may cause someone who sees it to think twice about satisfying their need for speed and keep them (and me!) alive a little longer. Any one of us could have been the unfortunate car driver.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Speed does not kill....stopping suddenly from anything over 35 mph can kill you.
KM
Otherwise known as RDS - "Rapid Deceleration Sickness"

:rockon:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not only will I not do 100 mph in any vehicle, I really don't want anyone else doing it on public roads. It's downright irresponsible to subject other vehicle operators and passengers to the possible consequences! It's dangerous enough out there without throwing some individuals selfish desire to go faster than the law allows into the mix. Folks, we have a moral responsibility to look out for each other! I'm not going to intentionally do anything that I know might hurt you, and I'd like you to reciprocate!

As far as being a tool for showing these pics, I disagree emphatically. It may cause someone who sees it to think twice about satisfying their need for speed and keep them (and me!) alive a little longer. Any one of us could have been the unfortunate car driver.

That's very true flite, i have to agree, the car driver never imagined that day was to ever happen. Good point flitecontrol.:beerchug:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with antiq. We don't need any more gov reaching out into every aspect of our lives.
The M109 is governed at 135 mph, they are keeping you and me safe brother, from little ass wipes like the one here, those people in the car would be alive today if he was going 60, , yes I know if he would have hit them at 60 they may well have been killed, but most likely he would have seen them. I agree with flitecontrol, we should not be killing inoccent people because we are high on whatever, we need the government to step in and say, This is enough, Whats wrong with that, a 155 mph bike does not need to exist, it's like a a machine gun, we dont need it unless we are paronoid skitzofrenics with rice paddies and ammo cases under our couches. With respect niterider. :rockon:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts