Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather here in Jersey is a bit warmer than usual for mid December and so I had to make a choice today. Should I finish off putting the outside decorations and lights up or go for a short ride on the 750? Well my phone showed 70 degrees and a chance of that moving higher so the bike came out since doing the lights during the daytime is difficult since you can't really see the total scene till it gets dark right? That makes sense to you people I am sure. I grabbed the leather jacket and gloves and off I went. First stop was for fuel. Latest price here is $1.69 so I filled up for less than five bucks. (Christmas present number one.) I hit the road and decided to take a quick look for something the wife was asking for that I couldn't seem to find. The first store I went into had it and no lines to check out so it was just ten minutes taken away from my riding. (Christmas present number two.) Riding was beginning to get a bit warm so I stopped and removed the liner from the jacket and got rid of the gloves. The temperatiure was now up to 72 degrees. Traffic was very mild and enjoyable which is a shock this close to the holiday. (Christmas present number three.) I put on about seventy-five miles and came back home to be greeted by the wife that stated she was surprised to see me back so soon. She then asked if she could help me with the outside decorations. I figured I better do it myself and show I was making a real effort as I know she still has a few things to do like bake more cookies.

So riding in mid December with cheap gas, shopping completed, 72 degrees and no traffic, plus a happy wife. How good can life get? Yes Christmas came early for me this year. I hope others were able to enjoy this special time of year.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
:)

Dec. ride, check. Got 50 miles yesterday, burnin' that seafoam.

74° - check

Light traffic - check (missed the HAZMAT spill by an hour or so)

Cheaper gas - check, $1.79 - 1.82

Happy wife and shopping done... uh-oh. :surprise:

4 out of 6 ain't bad for me. :nerd:

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)

Dec. ride, check. Got 50 miles yesterday, burnin' that seafoam.

74° - check

Light traffic - check (missed the HAZMAT spill by an hour or so)

Cheaper gas - check, $1.79 - 1.82

Happy wife and shopping done... uh-oh. :surprise:

4 out of 6 ain't bad for me. :nerd:
If we put that record to a vote here among the guys I am sure you would be considered in the positive. Four out of six ain't bad. (Isn't that a song?) Any way, you just have to enjoy it while it lasts because the weather, price of gas, traffic patterns and wives can change at a moments notice and sometimes without a notice. Enjoy to all and keep riding as long as you can.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
Play the song twice ;)

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
At least for now, gas should continue dropping, oil has been pushing down through the $30 range in the past week or two.

Yep, it's a song ... 2 out of 3 ... I must be just below average by Meatloaf's standards. :)

I stayed away from our mall area, busiest road in our state and usually goes bumper to bumper for a few miles this time of year. Been a long time since I ventured through that for Christmas. It's fun in the summer traffic though, seven lanes of dodge'em.

100% rain tomorrow, colder next weekend, and the days are still getting shorter!

But if this is an El Nino winter, I like it! We've had only two nights in the teens, lots of days over 50° . Compared to last year, this is totally easy!

·
Registered
609 Posts
My trip wasn't on the VN 750 (it's still for sale and spends most of it's time in the garage) but on the Honda ST1300. 200 miles to South Georgia to see my daughter and grandson. I'll return on Tuesday, should be about 8 hours in the saddle all total. The weather couldn't be any better, with slightly cooler temps forecast for the end of the week. People are complaining the warm weather doesn't feel like Christmas. Maybe not, but I sure prefer it over cold and rainy.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,722 Posts
The weather here in Jersey is a bit warmer than usual for mid December and so I had to make a choice today. Should I finish off putting the outside decorations and lights up or go for a short ride on the 750? Well my phone showed 70 degrees and a chance of that moving higher so the bike came out since doing the lights during the daytime is difficult since you can't really see the total scene till it gets dark right? That makes sense to you people I am sure. I grabbed the leather jacket and gloves and off I went. First stop was for fuel. Latest price here is $1.69 so I filled up for less than five bucks. (Christmas present number one.) I hit the road and decided to take a quick look for something the wife was asking for that I couldn't seem to find. The first store I went into had it and no lines to check out so it was just ten minutes taken away from my riding. (Christmas present number two.) Riding was beginning to get a bit warm so I stopped and removed the liner from the jacket and got rid of the gloves. The temperatiure was now up to 72 degrees. Traffic was very mild and enjoyable which is a shock this close to the holiday. (Christmas present number three.) I put on about seventy-five miles and came back home to be greeted by the wife that stated she was surprised to see me back so soon. She then asked if she could help me with the outside decorations. I figured I better do it myself and show I was making a real effort as I know she still has a few things to do like bake more cookies.

So riding in mid December with cheap gas, shopping completed, 72 degrees and no traffic, plus a happy wife. How good can life get? Yes Christmas came early for me this year. I hope others were able to enjoy this special time of year.
good for you! glad to hear about it! :smiley_th

If we put that record to a vote here among the guys I am sure you would be considered in the positive. Four out of six ain't bad. (Isn't that a song?) Any way, you just have to enjoy it while it lasts because the weather, price of gas, traffic patterns and wives can change at a moments notice and sometimes without a notice. Enjoy to all and keep riding as long as you can.

ain't that the truth!

At least for now, gas should continue dropping, oil has been pushing down through the $30 range in the past week or two.

Yep, it's a song ... 2 out of 3 ... I must be just below average by Meatloaf's standards. :)

I stayed away from our mall area, busiest road in our state and usually goes bumper to bumper for a few miles this time of year. Been a long time since I ventured through that for Christmas. It's fun in the summer traffic though, seven lanes of dodge'em.

100% rain tomorrow, colder next weekend, and the days are still getting shorter!

But if this is an El Nino winter, I like it! We've had only two nights in the teens, lots of days over 50° . Compared to last year, this is totally easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP7NkWU2JVM

I hate to break this to you............but winter hasn't even started yet! :surprise: :frown2:

not to worry, we still have 4-5 more months of winter to deal with. :doh:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
My trip wasn't on the VN 750 (it's still for sale and spends most of it's time in the garage) but on the Honda ST1300. 200 miles to South Georgia to see my daughter and grandson. I'll return on Tuesday, should be about 8 hours in the saddle all total. The weather couldn't be any better, with slightly cooler temps forecast for the end of the week. People are complaining the warm weather doesn't feel like Christmas. Maybe not, but I sure prefer it over cold and rainy.
I'll even take cold and rainy over cold and icy

·
Registered
656 Posts
Nice,I have yet to put my bike away 1reason is the unseasonally warm weather and2,dont know if the garage my neighbor let me store it last year is going to be torn down,3rd reason is lots of Dr. visits.......so hoping to find a garage space soon. My bro says I can put in S.C. anytime,litle far for me. Enjoy!!😃

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
I hate to break this to you............but winter hasn't even started yet! :surprise: :frown2:

not to worry, we still have 4-5 more months of winter to deal with. :doh:
Yes but the past two years by this time we were below zero and pushing snow. Some people are mowing their grass around here. I did get a late Dec. ride in 2013, but 2 days later it was -10°.

Supposed to get back in the 60s next week. Snow flurries today though!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
Might ride to my parents for Christmas

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,722 Posts
Yes but the past two years by this time we were below zero and pushing snow. Some people are mowing their grass around here. I did get a late Dec. ride in 2013, but 2 days later it was -10°.

Supposed to get back in the 60s next week. Snow flurries today though!
maybe for you. but this time last year the temps were in the 30-50 degree range with very little snow. we didn't get sub zero temps until February. yeah, we got hit with 3 feet of snow in one day, on a day in November, but all that snow was gone in a week or so. from Nov., to Feb., the it was very mild here. but we made up for it in Feb., 3 weeks straight of sub zero temps! ugh! :frown2: we are talking -24 degrees or even lower! I've never seen temps that low here and I've lived here all my life!

Might ride to my parents for Christmas

weatherman says it's gonna be around 50 degrees, sunny, 10% chance of rain. I would love to take the 750 out for a little spin, but my tags already expired :frown2: for this year. but the wife's EN500 tags are still good until next year. :smile2: I may have to take her bike out for a spin. :grin2:

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
I dunno Ruger, I'm 2hrs from Columbus and 3hrs from Cleveland (south), was thinkin' you were near one of those. We got a light cover of snow last evening, all the bridges were borked and people wiped out on black ice all over. Still calling for mid 60s next week.

My memory bogs down sometimes, but I recall having a defective heater that tripled my gas bill in '14-15, and in Dec. '13 I threw my back out diving into a water meter pit to save my buddy from frostbite and drowning... he snapped a water line while trying to thaw it in -10°. He was already icing up when I pulled him out of his crawl space. Wearing 50lbs of clothes that day didn't help the back either, I spent the better part of 2014-15 just getting to walk again. May be bad memory on last winter, I tried hard to forget it, was so tired of trying to keep the driveway cleared and heat my house.

On a side note and totally off-topic.... in the meantime I lost 25-30lbs, don't want to ever find it! I can get on my bike now and my gut doesn't pin my butt against the stock seat anymore. One meal a day tends to work like that, lol! (a whole 'nother ordeal)

BTW, laying a tarp down before snowfall is a quick way to clear snow. I can clear 4-6" snow, 10x20' in about half a minute. Helps if you're flipping the tarp downhill. Mailman thinks I have a heated driveway. :)

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,722 Posts
I dunno Ruger, I'm 2hrs from Columbus and 3hrs from Cleveland (south), was thinkin' you were near one of those. We got a light cover of snow last evening, all the bridges were borked and people wiped out on black ice all over. Still calling for mid 60s next week.

My memory bogs down sometimes, but I recall having a defective heater that tripled my gas bill in '14-15, and in Dec. '13 I threw my back out diving into a water meter pit to save my buddy from frostbite and drowning... he snapped a water line while trying to thaw it in -10°. He was already icing up when I pulled him out of his crawl space. Wearing 50lbs of clothes that day didn't help the back either, I spent the better part of 2014-15 just getting to walk again. May be bad memory on last winter, I tried hard to forget it, was so tired of trying to keep the driveway cleared and heat my house.

On a side note and totally off-topic.... in the meantime I lost 25-30lbs, don't want to ever find it! I can get on my bike now and my gut doesn't pin my butt against the stock seat anymore. One meal a day tends to work like that, lol! (a whole 'nother ordeal)

BTW, laying a tarp down before snowfall is a quick way to clear snow. I can clear 4-6" snow, 10x20' in about half a minute. Helps if you're flipping the tarp downhill. Mailman thinks I have a heated driveway. :)
I'm in Cleveland, Ohio. but I've got peeps in Columbus, Ohio, Cincinnati, Ohio and even Toleldo, Ohio.

yup, I just checked the weather history, and it jogged my memory. I remember it we around 60 degrees on Dec. 24th, because we were like there is no way we are going to have a white X-mas this year. lol the lowest temp for the month of Dec., was 24 degrees and that was on Dec., 31st! lol
I checked on January 2015, no days were sub zero and we had a few days in the 50's! so, yes, up to February, it was a very mild winter. at least for us up here. lol

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
You're right, we're not showing sub-zero until Jan-Feb those years either. Must've seemed worse because it snapped cold pretty early in Nov.

You guys keep that big door closed so the cold air stays up there where it belongs. :)

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,722 Posts
we got snow Friday night, woke up to 1" on Saturday morning. temps hit 40 degrees today, snows just about gone. roads are clear and dry! :rockon:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts