Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I am not new to wrenching, having worked on my own Jeeps for the last 35+ years. I am however new to bikes and just want to make sure I got this right.

While trying not to go crazy awaiting the parts I need to get the bike back on the road, I decided to do a little preventative maintenance and replace the sparkplugs. Got a set of new NGK iridiums, pulled the first plug, installed the new one and torqued it down to 144 in-lbs. Was feeling pretty good until I tried to put the wire back on. Just didn't want to seat no matter what I tried. So finally I look down at the old plug on the floor and notice that the threads on the end are bare. Now I am thinking, oh crap the little metal thingie must be stuck up inside the boot. Turns out when I pulled the other three plugs, none of them had that metal piece either. So I pull the new plug, remove the metal piece, re-install it and the boot snaps right on.

So am I right in thinking that the plug wires on the Vulcan are intended to be used on the bare threads of the sparkplugs? If so, that is a totally new one for me. :)

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
Yes sir, you are correct. No little metal thingies on the ends of our spark plugs. I'm not entirely sure why (maybe a vibration/contact thing), but if I had to guess, it's the Japanese telling the rest of the world that having a big end on your plug isn't always necessary.... :D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Now, ya see...I put automotive wires on mine, and they require the tips...the tips, btw, cannot be purchased separately easily....

What many dont know too, is there is a resistor inside the stock NGK plug wire end...looks like the old style glass buss fuse...I removed mine and replaced with a piece of steel bolt the same length...I run stock NGK plugs...tried the Iridiums, and saw no difference....mebbe because I removed the resistors....but I run fine on stock...

Resistor plugs and wires lower the intensity of a spark, from what Ive been told...now, resistor stuff was designed to stop interference with AM radio, and lowband TV broadcast, which I bet only those in Kamchatka, Iceland, and the Northwest Territories might still use...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if anyone ever needs those little metal thingies, I got 4 brand new ones sitting atop the toolbox in the garage. :beerchug:

Old plugs didn't look half bad, maybe showing signs of running a little rich. Figured I'd do all the "normal" stuff (oil, coolant, final drive fluid, air filters, sparkplugs, couple cans of seafoam) as it is "new" to me. I ain't too sure the previous owner (oldest girl) ever did any maintenance on the bike. You try to raise em right but some times they just don't listen.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
I personally think that occasionally using seafoam is a good thing, especially if there's old gas in the carbs/tank/lines, but don't overdo it. I learned the hard way (as have some others here I think) about putting too much in the fuel. Do so and we may see you in a new thread asking why it's suddenly smoking and how to fix it... :beerchug:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only put 1/4 can in each tank full. Figure the can is sized for a "normal" car's gas tank of 12 to 20 gallons. Hope it won't be too much of a problem.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I'll take that fer payment fer the fork tubes, lol...youre the right Joe, eh ?....lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep I am the right Joe and I will be sure to leave the metal thingies behind when I pick up the tubes!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
"Metal thingies"....lol...thats sound so frickin lame, lolol....but what else do ya call em ????

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
"Metal thingies"....lol...thats sound so frickin lame, lolol....but what else do ya call em ????
Technical name: Terminal ends. I prefer thingies, easier to remember and can be used for multiple parts, you just have to remember which thingie you're looking for.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Jeeps wouldn't run without the 100s of thingies and doohickeys I've had to remove and replace over the years. Sounds like these Vulcans may be a similar beast.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Just fer haa haaas, I searched the terminology for these on 3 different search engines.....the consensus is "screw on plug ends"....seriously....try it...mebbe if someone contacted a plug mfg.... but thats all Ive found...

Finally got it thru BING img search...."Terminal NUT"...Jax almost had it...60 points fer that....

Its officially now a "terminal nut".......gee, I fit that mold....

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Resistors in the spark wire....or resistor plugs, not only cut noise in AM and lower transmission frequencies but cut interference in other electronic stuff like CB radios, intercoms, earphones and gps hookups.

Normally one only installs resistor type plugs or wires if they are experiancing a problem.

Using heavy sheilded headsets help too.

If the only electronic device you have on your bike is a voltmeter... You don't need resistor plugs or wires.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Resistors in the spark wire....or resistor plugs
IN THE PLUG HEADS.....and CB IS AM radio....and the others are sheitband that is rarely used anymore....ask KC...he's a Ham operator....was only recently that "CB" went to 2 meter FM.... I have a Government license for this crap so , I kinda know... ;)

Knife...brother....and Ive written this before....if you look inside of a stock NGK plug end cap....you will see a brass thingie with a cutout for a flat screwdriver....you can screw that out, counterclockwise...inside, you will find what looks like a buss fuse, and a spring....thats a built in resistor......that decreases your output....if you remove that, replace with a chunk of steel the same size/length (ie "bolt"), you will get a better spark....

Nobody frickin listens to me.....1968 I built my first 2 wheeler...and all ignore....oh well....time to "get outta breath here" I suppose....deaf ears....

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
IN THE PLUG HEADS.....and CB IS AM radio....and the others are sheitband that is rarely used anymore....ask KC...he's a Ham operator....was only recently that "CB" went to 2 meter FM.... I have a Government license for this crap so , I kinda know... ;)

Knife...brother....and Ive written this before....if you look inside of a stock NGK plug end cap....you will see a brass thingie with a cutout for a flat screwdriver....you can screw that out, counterclockwise...inside, you will find what looks like a buss fuse, and a spring....thats a built in resistor......that decreases your output....if you remove that, replace with a chunk of steel the same size/length (ie "bolt"), you will get a better spark....

Nobody frickin listens to me.....1968 I built my first 2 wheeler...and all ignore....oh well....time to "get outta breath here" I suppose....deaf ears....
yup been doin this fer years... works like a charm

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did look into the boot and saw that brass thingie with the screwdriver slot. Thinking it was the sparkplug terminal nut, I tried to remove it with both a screwdriver and a pair of needlenose pliers. Maybe I was turning it the wrong way but it didn't come out easily. That's when I noticed the old plug was missing the terminal nut and decided to pull the other 3 wires. The rest as they say, is history.

If I am really bored this week, I might try removing those brass thingies and inserting a bolt. One can never have too strong a spark. :beerchug:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Screw on spark plug connectors ? Plug top jibby jobbies ? Turned and threaded spark plug top connector adaptors ? I quite like "metal thingies".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts