Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
431 Posts
Have you been introduced to the Verses? Good place to start for basic info....Vulcan Verses

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I looked in the versus but couldn't locate the part number for the plugs. Went to the store but the people working there couldn't tell me which ones that I needed (dumbasses).

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The verses have the part numbers for the standard plugs, but not for the
NGK Iridium DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs that Chris correctly identified.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Yeah OlHoss, the iridium p/n's are in Verses.... check the link in my first post. If they weren't there already, they would need to be added. Regardless, I'm glad you know about the Verses master-paul. I noticed that you had just joined the forum and wanted to make sure you had seen them.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Yeah OlHoss, the iridium p/n's are in Verses.... check the link in my first post. If they weren't there already, they would need to be added. Regardless, I'm glad you know about the Verses master-paul. I noticed that you had just joined the forum and wanted to make sure you had seen them.
You are correct. I skimmed that link too fast and missed KM`s post with the p/n.

Iridium plugs

Quote:
The advantage is (they claim) "Longer life, lower fuel consumption,smoother running,Improved ignition efficaintcy-giving enhanced power and acceleration" The part that matters really is the "improved ignition efficaincy" as iridium can "spark hotter" at a lower voltage. Given our feeble electrical system, anything that uses less power is good. The part number is 7803 at Advanced Auto. The plug is the DPR7IX9. KM
CORRECTION TO KM`s part number- he missed the *E*- should be DPR7EIX-9.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Called my bud up at Advanced Auto Parts. $6.49 eack on the plugs BUT my brother owns a auto repair shop so I can get them at his dicount so they'll be under $6 without having to pay tax. Can you say YEA!:beerchug:

·
Banned
431 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Iridium plugs are another one of those 'you get what you pay for' item; faster starts, better performance, longer life, lower maintenance, etc. They also last longer than standard spark plugs (iridium is very hard), making them actually cost effective in the long run. At $6-$8 a plug and just a few minutes to install, they are one of the easiest performance mod. to make. In fact, I would prioritize the upgrade to iridium spark plug as second on the list of 'must do' for this bike. The first on the list is of course the AGM maintenance free battery upgrade.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
You guys are fortunate spending such for these plugs. Kawi dealer hit me for $52.00. (N.Y.C.).

I bought my 1988 VN750 in May 2010 and rode the whole season with regular plugs and had no ignition problem whatsoever. But... after installing these iridiums 3 months ago and having finally test ridden her these past two days (N.Y. weather permitted) Wow!!! What a difference! The way she sounds; the way she accelerates; I'm lost for words to express this upgrade.

Time and time again I read here of it's recommendation in relation to ignition problems (which I had none). I only bought them because I replaced my coils/wires/caps to NGK's and had to fix retainer leak. I had no idea of the quality it gives to riding. She runs smoother (my tach housing doesn't vibrate anymore, lol); power and acceleration like I've never known! (passing/switching lanes on the highway with confidence); and the sound?! It's hard to believe this is my bike.

It's worth every cent I spent! Ride safe.
:wow: $52 for four sparkplugs! Was the cashier wearing a mask or holding a gun on you when he asked for your money? <BG> Now you know why we call it a stealership!!

My practice is to buy from the stealers- (ie.-Kawi moto, or GMC, Oldsmobile, Ford, Chrysler, etc., etc. automotive), only OEM parts that are not available anywhere else. Plugs, oil, oil filters, coolant, etc., I buy from NAPA or another auto supply store. (NAPA quoted me a price of just over $10CAN apiece for NGK Iridium plugs last fall. Didn`t phone any other auto supply place for comparison then, as my bike is still firing up just fine.)

I am curious about the great improvement in the running of your engine since replacing virtually all your ignition system parts.
Did you ride the bike after replacing the coil, plug wires and caps, but BEFORE installing the new Iridium plugs?

If so, what difference did you notice then?

If you didn`t test ride between replacing the coils, wires and the plugs, would you consider putting the old plugs back in for a test ride now?

I`m trying to determine how much of the improvement is due to the plugs, and how much is due to the other ignition components.

How many miles on the old plugs?
Were they NGK plugs?
Do you think they are factory originals?

What do the electrodes on the old plugs look like?
Are the edges worn and rounded off?
Or are they still square and sharp edged?

Just saying that any new NGK plugs, not just iridiums, are likely to give the vn750 greatly improved performance initially, over old plugs with worn, rounded off electrodes. The major benefit is that the harder Iridium plated electrodes don`t start to erode by 5K miles like regular plugs can. (My friend`s 2005 H-D Electro-Glide maintenance schedule calls for new plugs every 5,000 miles!!!)

BTW, glad to hear you are so pleased with the old girl running like a top, :smiley_th even after being held up for the price of the new plugs.

Sorry for the long winded :blah::blah:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks for the update FL. It`s good to know the new plugs still made that much difference on top of all the ignition component replacements.

·
Banned
448 Posts
Would silver tipped plugs be any better than Irridium? I found a set of plugs with silver tips, and electrodes, and I will get the part number. They are expensive, more so than the Irridiums I think.
The ad said longer life of course over regular type plugs.
What is the proper gap for the plugs in thousandths?
I will need to go get a good feeler guage so I can get my new plugs gapped right.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Would silver tipped plugs be any better than Irridium? I found a set of plugs with silver tips, and electrodes, and I will get the part number. They are expensive, more so than the Irridiums I think.
The ad said longer life of course over regular type plugs.
What is the proper gap for the plugs in thousandths?
I will need to go get a good feeler guage so I can get my new plugs gapped right.
Go with Iridium. Silver and Platinum spark plugs are consider last generation. Iridium is harder, last longer, requires less voltage, etc. Plug gap specifications (on '06 model) are 0.08 - 0.09mm or 0.032 - 0.036 in. My set of NGK Iridiums came pre-gapped at 0.035 in (which I verified). No regapping required. However, BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL when regapping Iridium plugs (if required) as the electrode is very thin and easily broken.

·
Banned
448 Posts
I'm going with the Irridiums, I wasn't sure about the silver ones. Mine does fire up a lot easier with them, and it seems to idle better, I haven't had a chance to rid it yet, too much snow.
As soon as it warms up to at least the upper 30's I will take her for a ride to see how she does.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
One of the biggest mistake people make is handling the plug by the white porcelain stem. Body oils will cause the electrical curent to also arc to the cylinder head by way of traveling the residue on the outside of the porcelian,,,cutting down on the amount of current going to the plug tip. An old vehicle sparkplug wire boot (long one)is the best thing to use to handle the plug and to start it into the plug hole. My brother owns a mechanic shop and it would surprise you to the people that change their own plugs then come to him with high RPM misfiring. Dirt fingerprints all over the plug.

·
Registered
738 Posts
One of the biggest mistake people make is handling the plug by the white porcelain stem. Body oils will cause the electrical curent to also arc to the cylinder head by way of traveling the residue on the outside of the porcelian,,,cutting down on the amount of current going to the plug tip. An old vehicle sparkplug wire boot (long one)is the best thing to use to handle the plug and to start it into the plug hole. My brother owns a mechanic shop and it would surprise you to the people that change their own plugs then come to him with high RPM misfiring. Dirt fingerprints all over the plug.
That's a great tip! Carbon is another notorious source of arcing. Coating the inside of the spark plug boots with dielectric grease will help reduce that arcing (and make it easier to remove the boot next maintenance interval).

Also, don't forget to coat the spark plug threads with anti-seize!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Wow, it makes perfect sense but I never thought, or heard of this before, and I have been changing my own plugs for 40 years. I learn something new here every day. Sometimes something as simple as a better way to change spark plugs!:smiley_th

1 - 20 of 25 Posts