Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was talking to a guy who increased his spark plug wires from 7mm to 8mm. Is it possible to just replace the wires and not ends assembly that goes on the ends that connect to the spark plug? If so, how do I get the ends off the wires?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Ok I was talking to a guy who increased his spark plug wires from 7mm to 8mm. Is it possible to just replace the wires and not ends assembly that goes on the ends that connect to the spark plug? If so, how do I get the ends off the wires?
the ends twist off the wires, but 8mm wires need 8mm spark plug ends, or you have to shave insulation off the wires to get the 7mm boots to fit the 8mm wire.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a spool of 8mm Accel wire as well as the cheap replacement wire from Dennis Kirk. It was no trouble at all to get the 8mm wire into the NGK plug ends, but I couldn't get it into the stock coil side retainers at all. I used the DK wire temporarily, but would like to use the 8mm wire since I've got it and it appears to be much higher quality than the generic DK wire. Can anybody that's used 8mm wire comment on how they got around that?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
Could trim rubber insulation a little off the end of wire?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I tried that, but removing the rubber insulation makes it far too thin. I didn't see an easy way to remove just a little bit of insulation. Basically an all or nothing thing. I'd love to be wrong about that, though.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I switched to 8mm years ago. All I did was use my table top grinding wheel to evenly shave off the excess sheathing till it fit the stock coil.
Also, no problem with the NGK caps.
Since sold them to Wib when I stripped the bike.

·
Registered
499 Posts
So you just held it up to a bench grinder? That could work. Definitely an option I hadn't considered.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
Better than my idea. Pocket knife.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah, the knife was my first try and an utter failure. Thankfully I have 75 feet to work with so burning an inch or so as scrap wasn't a tremendous loss.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sorry for the confusion - I haven't tried your method yet. Might get a chance in a couple of hours after my son goes to bed.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Update - the bench grinder was perfect. No need to take a lot off, just trim it very slightly and bevel the leading edge so the pieces can easily slide up onto the wire. Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If that's solid core wire I would like to buy about ten feet from you if your willing to part with some of that 75 ft for cheap. I can't help it I'm a tight wad and I'm getting ready to buy 4 new ngk ends fir my 1500 as the stock pieces of crap have corroded up inside and don't want to grip the plug. New wires would be in order too. If it is not copper core wire I can't use it. Let me know,thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts