Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got off my butt and upgraded my plugs to the NGK Iridiums this past weekend. 10 minute job including verifying the gap on each plug. Could be just the "placebo effect" but seems to start easier and run better to me.

One issue I found though was that someone (shop?, PO?) had cross-threaded my right front cylinder when the plugs were changed last. :mad: I threaded the new one in very carefully and it seems to be fine, although it did feel a little like I was "rethreading" back to the original thread pattern.

Question is: How concerned should I be about the plug eventually stripping out of the cylinder wall? Once cross-threaded, how much damage has been done or are the cylinder threads "tougher" than the plug threads? :confused:

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it doesn't hold, there are thread inserts that you can install that work fine. I think they are called 'Heli-coils'. You rethread the hole, clean it, glue up the helicoil insert and thread it in. Let it set up and good as new. Not too challenging a task if you can twist some wrenches. Years ago (decades, really) I did this to some aluminium heads on sports cars I was working on, worked fine. I wouldn't go that route unless you have too, but it is possible if you need to. Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts