Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i am trying to change my spark plugs but i find with the plugs that are down in the motor i cant get my socket or any other socket onto the spark plug to undo i know it is a 18 mm socket but there is not much room to move around the spark plug to get the socket over is there a special socket for this job or am i missing something bike is a 86 vn 750

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dont worry sorted a 18 mm tube spanner works a treat and only 3 bucks woohoo

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Sears Craftsman 18mm deep well socket # 44435
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the only problem with that is we cant get that item here in australia

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
OK, then the only thing I can say is, my Sears 18mm DW socket # 44435 has an OD of .930" or 23.62mm and worked fine...HTH...
I think as long as it is a thin wall deep well 18mm it will work...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool i went a bought a tibe spanner like the ones they sell for lawn mowers and it worked a treat fits down and removed spark plugs job done

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
The plug socket with the original tool kit works too, but that must be missing on your bike.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Any fairly thin walled 3/8" drive 18mm deep well should work just fine.

Higher quality sockets usually have thinner walls, as they are generally made out of better metal, and can be made that way to reach into tighter spots.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
459 Posts
hi i am trying to change my spark plugs but i find with the plugs that are down in the motor i cant get my socket or any other socket onto the spark plug to undo i know it is a 18 mm socket but there is not much room to move around the spark plug to get the socket over is there a special socket for this job or am i missing something bike is a 86 vn 750
I just went through the same thing. The problem is that most deep sockets are too thick to fit in the narrow space. I ended up buying a socket at the stealership for $18 but you could probably also buy a cheepy (say Harbor Freight) and grind it down.

BTW: I usually also grind the ends of my sockets down as well for good measure. For reasons that totally escape me, if you look carefully at most sockets you'll see that the ends are rounded off resulting in less contact with the bolt (not an issue for the plugs but in general). If you grind those rounded sections down you get more surface contact with the bolt.

-Robert

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
BTW: I usually also grind the ends of my sockets down as well for good measure. For reasons that totally escape me, if you look carefully at most sockets you'll see that the ends are rounded off resulting in less contact with the bolt (not an issue for the plugs but in general). If you grind those rounded sections down you get more surface contact with the bolt.-Robert
I started to write this a bit different, but I was laughin so hard I couldn't...lol...
Anyway lookin at the bottom or tops of hex nuts or bolt heads most all are raised off the surface a bit on the points, maybe someone will get what I'm tryin to say...lol...:beerchug:...
Have a good one....Old Dog...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I started to write this a bit different, but I was laughin so hard I couldn't...lol...
Anyway lookin at the bottom or tops of hex nuts or bolt heads most all are raised off the surface a bit on the points, maybe someone will get what I'm tryin to say...lol...:beerchug:...
Have a good one....Old Dog...
I get what you saying, old dog.

I think the reason for the rounding of the socket on the inside is to facilitate the socket going onto the nuts. Maybe someone will get what I am trying to say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts