Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Spark Plug Removal - dumb question

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  fergy 
#1 ·
After all the discussion I have decided to put the iridium plugs in my bike. Guess I must have missed it somewhere in all my reading but can someone tell me what size/length socket is needed to remove the spark plugs?

#2 ·
18mm deep well.

Don't forget the anti-seize when you put in the new ones.

Jon

#4 ·
Correct on the thread application, need to check on the gap, can't remember what I set my iridiums to.

Comes in small foil packets sometimes right near a register at your favorite auto parts store.

Jon

#5 ·
Be careful setting the gap on Iridium plugs. The tip is very fragil. Most will be pre set.
I have seen people breaak the tip and shortin the life of the plug.
The only real advantage to Iridium is you don't have to chaing them as soon.
Be careful puting anti seize on, Only put it on the threads. It can short out a plug if near the tip.

#6 ·
And to continue on anti-seize suggestions ....

A little goes along way.
If you have some kind of small brush, use that to spread it thinly around the threads of the plug. It doesn't need to be a thick blob.

And with the plug socket, it needs to be a thin wall deep well.
And from what I also understand, the plugs should already be gapped. But it wouldn't hurt to double check to be sure.

Oh yeah, about the title of this post, around here, there's no dumb questions.
:)motorcycl unless ya ask that guy about his '07 Vulcan !! :lockd: LOL)

There're been very few questions here that haven't already been ask at some point.
So, if more than one person has that question, it must be a reasonable question, and not a dumb one.
But, if it is one of the few we haven't heard we might just raz ya a little about it, but it's all in fun. :beerchug:

#7 ·
Plugs...

From the NGK site, the gap is 0.035". I did not have to set mine when they arrived, but you may want to run a quick check on 'em just to feel better.

I also was very careful to not get any antiseize on the tip of the plug. I heard the same thing that it will foul out the plugs early.

Let us know whet you think when you get them in and take it for a spin.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Oh the only dumb question is a question you already know the answer to

#9 ·
Can't seem to find at any of the local parts stores. The guy at advanve auto said he could order them @ $6.96 each and probably have them in the next day. Will probably go with him if I don't have any better luck looking tomorrow. Hadn't had any real problems with the bike yet. It's an 06' but I have noticed that when new I didn't need any choke for her to crank but now I have to go to half choke for it to fire up. Never had any problems with my battery either but based on the advice/opinions of you guys I got a MF almost immediately. Maybe it was my imagination but the bike did seem to run better with the MF battery and ocassional dose of seafoam. Wonder if there will be any noticeable difference with the new plugs or maybe the old mind will continue to play tricks on me.

#10 ·
If you have Advance Discount Auto, they either stock or get them in a day. About $ 5 each.

Jon

#11 ·
Plugs

On my '02, it had 5k on the odo when I put plugs and gel battery in it. Starting (especially hot) as well as cold was a different bike. Anxious to hear about yours.

#12 ·
BSkaggs513,

Glad to hear you noticed an improvement. Still trying to hunt down plugs here in Arlington, Tn. Expecting 60 degree temps here next week and hope I have them before then to really try them out. Will post my results when I do. Thanks again to all you guys for the helpful info.

I'm not much of a mechanic so the info that has been offered up has been priceless in making the few mods I've made to my as yet unnamed bike. The info provided has saved me a ton of goof-ups.

Added new grips, k&n filters, mf battery, bags, windshield, engine guard, oil changes, ts relocation, seafoam diet, clutch/brake adjustments, floorboards, badge removal, idle adjustments.

Hope I never have to tackle the much read about acct, stator, and spline issues. Recently I have noticed a ticking sound when bike is cold but it generally goes away once she's all warmed up. Is that a precursor to an upcoming problem?

#13 ·
Pricey little devils

I found the plugs on the summit site for 8 bucks a pop and they gave me a free hat LOL!

The Kawasaki spark plug removal tool cost me 30 bucks at my local dismantler. OUCH!

and as for the gap i checked the new plugs against the oem factory ones in my bike and they are the same no need to adjust.

:motorcycl

#14 ·
Someone earlier said that if you specify part number 7803 (that is what is listed on the NGK site) that NAPA or other auto parts stores will recognize what to order. Most times they can get them in the next day.

I see your list of modifications is very impressive. You are way ahead of me.

#18 ·
Check the first reply?

Jon

#16 ·
They make an 18 mm deep, thinwall socket which won't need to be modified, just good luck finding one, they are scarce in this area.

#19 ·
I found the plugs at napa for $7.99 each and I found the 18mm socket at auto zone for $4.69. I installed the plugs last Sunday and took a short ride. Bike seems to run stronger - may be just my imagination at this point. Will see what happens when the weather warms up a bit more. My bike has been sittting in the garage for the past 3 months and it cranked on the second try. Still had to use the choke. Is that normal with the new plugs or should it fire up without using it?

#22 ·
I pulled an 18mm deep well out of the draw and it worked as is.
Perhaps I had a thinwall version, by shear luck.

Jon

#23 ·
If it's not a thinwall socket, it's too tight a fit. Just be sure to get a thinwall, 18mm, deepwell and you won't have any problems.

Jon

#24 ·
Choke is choke. If you used choke on a normal running bike when cold, you'll still need choke with iridium plugs. I choke my bike even for a few seconds in the Texas Summer while it warms up. Hope this answers your question.

#25 ·
Same here (except in PA, not Tex. and I don't have the iridium's yet)
Any time I start the bike for the first time that day, I have to use the choke.
I don't think it'll keep runnin' if I only do it for a few seconds though. More like a couple minutes usually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.