Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I looked up (on here) and found the (hopefully) right spark plug to get for my bike, then did a search on amazon for it, but it comes up and says it "doesn't fit my 1999 vulcan 750". I'm assuming amazon is probably wrong, so just wanted to make sure I get the right thing.

Does this look right?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B0X00U/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=automotive

I should add that I'm changing them out because although I don't really have any issues going on with the bike, the only thing that bugs me is that it takes usually 2 pushes of the button to get it to start. Hopefully this will fix that minor inconvenience.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
That is the correct plug, my plug box also has a 7803 under the plug #, got mine locally at Advance Auto Parts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks. Yeah I found that part number too but they don't carry it at my local AA store. It ends up being cheaper to do amazon with free shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
My local AA stocks them @ $6.99 ea.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They may not carry it, but they list it at AA and can order it. Took a whole day for mine to come in. The part #7803 I think was for a set of four, and was cheaper than the price you showed on Amazon.
Good point. I didn't think about having AA order it. They're pretty close to my house so would be an easy pick-up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got my plugs changed tonight. Check out the difference!

Took me a minute to figure out how to unscrew the little caps LOL...

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgive my ignorance but how can you tell it's almost new?

The PO said they changed them but they did such an awful job on the battery I figure I better change 'em anyway, plus they weren't iridium.

First start last night after the change, and first start this morning took 2 pushes of the button still. Does it take a bit before they are 100% ready? And if that still doesn't take care of my 2-push start, what would be the next step?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Maybe check the voltage at the coils. I've been saying this too often lately lol. But if the voltage is less than battery voltage, you might want to consider the coil relay mod.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Maybe check the voltage at the coils. I've been saying this too often lately lol. But if the voltage is less than battery voltage, you might want to consider the coil relay mod.
x2 !
....Coil Mod cleared up similar issues on my bike.

:smiley_th +1

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
The center electrode in the plug on the left has no erosion (wear), the edges are still squared off and the end is flat.

Plugs today last a very long time compared to when we had lead in the gas. In those days, the center electrode would erode away, making the gap wider as the miles racked up. We were lucky to get 20,000 miles out of a set, but they could still be cleaned and re-gapped, if the hard ash deposits and carbon came off. Eventually the center would wear down even with the glass. Besides unleaded fuel, we also have more exotic metals and better steel in the plugs.

I agree with Ceal, check your voltage, think about the pickup coil mod, and make sure you're not running lean, I can't tell for sure by the pic.

Haven't had the plugs out of mine yet, no 18mm deep well in the shop. No mods to the ignition, but once warm it started with half a turn. Almost like an electric motor, barely touch the button, and vroom.

This is a worn plug, pay no attention to the color, looks like it's also been very hot:
http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/golf-cart-blog/gas-cart-not-running-right-spark-plugs/

https://www.google.com/search?q=wor...CCse84AOns4DYCA&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=768

·
Bearcat
135 Posts
It's a good idea to change out your plugs once a year as a basic matince item, at least I do. I run the champion plugs from AA gaped at .035. She always run good on them. As to the starting issue, unless you have the mixture screws on carbs and timing just right it's normal for a motor to turn a time or two befor she fires up. When cold my bike usaly takes a crank or two. When she's warm I have to fiddle with it to get her running sometimes. It's nothing major though, just part of owning a carbureted engine. Yes it can be tinker out but as long as she runs good I'm happy with a few quirks:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts