Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike started running rough. Even with the choke on the idle wouldn't get smooth. I was about to start working through various possible solutions but decided to first do the coaster procedure while I pondered my next move. (I used the 5/8" plastic leg cap version - worked like a charm). When putting the cap on the right side behind the ear, I noticed that the throttle cables wore right through the boot of the spark plug wire. When I started the bike I could see the electric arc from the plug wire to the metal coil wrapping the cables. I fixed it by wrapping the boot with electric tape, and then a piece of plastic from the handle of a laundry detergent bottle, and then a few more rounds of electric tape. The plastic from the laundry detergent bottle is flexible but remarkably tough and slippery so the cable rubbing against it will take a generation to wear through. (It also worked well patching around pipes under the kitchen sink where little furry critters used to sneak through. Easy to cut and glue to the wall and mice can't chew through it. It's my new duct tape). With that, all the problems went away. Idle is smooth as silk, power is back, and no more backfiring.

All that said, has anyone else had the problem of the throttle cables wearing a hole in the spark plug boot?

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
The reed box on that side had grooves cut into it from the throttle cables. Have done the coasters and have meant to sleeve or tie the cables some way.

Wouldn't it be a bitch to get zapped by the ignition spark through the bars while riding? My grips have a lot of metal in them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts