Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Spare parts on rides

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Ironman 
#1 ·
What VN750 spare parts would you recommend be taken on a ride of any real length, that can be replaced without the need for a shop? Spare fuses? A spark plug, maybe?

To word the question another way--what VN750 parts are generally most likely to fail (besides the stator, r/r--or perhaps a flat tire) that can be reasonably repaired in the field?

The above of course assumes that the bike is otherwise maintained properly....

#2 ·
On trips, I take a spare headlight bulb, a bottle of seafoam (never know what kind of gas you'll get stuck with) my compressor (tiny one from Walmart, have my tender pigtail on my battery where I can plug a cig lighter pigtail to it for using the compressor) a tire plug kit, some tools, some rags and a can of Honda Pro cleaner, extra fuses of course, but no spare parts. Spark plugs might be a good idea, but I have new iridium plugs so I don't imagine I need spares, or don't plan to need spares anyway.

#4 ·
Off the top of my head, I don't recall the sizes. But I know they are duplicates of the ones on the bike. I carry a couple spares of each of the ones in the fuse box, along with the spares that are in there. I think it is two sizes, maybe a 10 and a 30, but I'm not sure.

#6 ·
If you can get a spair R/R. That would not be a bad Idea.
You could relocate one and leave one in the stock location so it is always there.

#9 ·
Now THAT is a good idea!

#11 ·
I got a Kuriaken lighted gague, Got a piece of flat aluminum.
Used Double sided 3M adhesive tape, mounted it to the back of my gague cluster. It it above the Fuel gague

#10 ·
i also recomend a spare of each hand lever. it is common that when the bike is dropped, its less then 15mph. this leaves little damage to the bike and in most cases rideable, but sometimes the hand levers will bend or break. this way you can at least make it to the nearest shop if you need further repairs without a tow.

also a spare H4 headlight, hard to find out in rual areas, a small set of tools, a decent LED based flashlight (b/c of the run time) and depending on the spacing of gas stations, there are some aluminum gas bottles too...

#12 ·
I bought an LCD one but several have complained about it not being waterproof, so I haven't installed it yet. I'm still looking for a good location. Others say the lcd goes black in the sun. So that's another thing I'm thinking about. I'll probably eventually fab a mount for it with a hood of some type that keeps the direct sunlight off it and helps shield it from the weather. Since I have a windshield, I'm not worried about rain pouring on it while riding, (mostly because I tend not to ride in rain) and when parked, it's under cover.
http://www.jpcycles.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PID=ZZ73218&cs=All

There are some that are LED lights that seem to be perferred by several here. Someone will eventually speak up Im sure.

On the r/r, if you make sure your backup r/r is the same hole pattern, once relocated, it wouldn't take 5 minutes to remove and replace it. Just my 2 cents worth. (I hate to see a regulator mounted under the battery box!)

#13 ·
See I told you someone would speak up! Before I could finish typing.
By the way Chad, how do you pronounce that? Fuel "gagoo"? ;) Lord I wish this forum had spell checking! That's what takes me so long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.