Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Anyone just happen to have a gas tank sitting around that they're not using and would be willing to part with? It doesn't even need to have a gas cap, float, or petcock. I'm about ready to put the engine back in Orleans' frame, but I'm still quite a ways away from being ready to paint the tins. So I'd like to see if the engine works before I go painting things and then messing 'em up 'cause of installing, removing, installing, removing with a sledgehammer....

If you have one, shoot me a pm and let me know how much you'd like for it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi - Anyone just happen to have a gas tank sitting around that they're not using and would be willing to part with? It doesn't even need to have a gas cap, float, or petcock. I'm about ready to put the engine back in Orleans' frame, but I'm still quite a ways away from being ready to paint the tins. So I'd like to see if the engine works before I go painting things and then messing 'em up 'cause of installing, removing, installing, removing with a sledgehammer....

If you have one, shoot me a pm and let me know how much you'd like for it.

Thanks!
I've seen a few tanks on ebay lately.

Decided on the blue and silver yet??? Let me know and I'll see if I can find a coupld of good star decals for you. :boxing:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen a few tanks on ebay lately.

Decided on the blue and silver yet??? Let me know and I'll see if I can find a coupld of good star decals for you. :boxing:
I blew the bidding on a couple of 'em - forgot taht I needed to check, and they got away from me.

Ha ha- got the blue (midnight blue, HOK) and actually bought some chrome tank trim. HOWEVER, I have two Kaw 750 emblems, and I think I'm going to just put them back on the tank once she's done. No stars on Orleans!! :p

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
If it is just for testing, use something else like a 1 gallon gas can (can even be plastic). Just need some creative plumbing and some bungees.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is just for testing, use something else like a 1 gallon gas can (can even be plastic). Just need some creative plumbing and some bungees.
Uh...I forgot to mention that I never watched enough of McGyver to learn anything from the show. However, I'm not above contemplating how to rig the petcock to a gas can and drive around town with it... Hmmmm...

·
Registered
387 Posts
How do you guys know this stuff?? :doh: Okay, Carl, do tell: Do I jury-rig the cap to accept the fuel lines? And then what do I do about the vacuum port?

You don't worry about the vacuum port. It will work as a gravity feed.

Here is a Maintenance Tank from J&P Cycle:
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=D4087039-0617-4B3A-B2DF-69483B124BDD&search=gas+bottle&store=Metric&page=1

The gear oil bottle is MUCH cheaper. It's meant for in garage testing, not on street testing.

How do we know this? Experience and improvisation. :)

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link! I'll see if I can pull this off...if I do have bungee cords, can I ride around the block carrying the oil bottle or gas can on the frame? :p

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Thanks for the link! I'll see if I can pull this off...if I do have bungee cords, can I ride around the block carrying the oil bottle or gas can on the frame? :p
Just rember, the bottel has to be higher than the carbs or wont work.
You may have to put a vent hole in the bottle somewhere also or you might get a vacume in the bottle.

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
How do you guys know this stuff?? :doh: Okay, Carl, do tell: Do I jury-rig the cap to accept the fuel lines? And then what do I do about the vacuum port?
Like they said, no vent tube needed. Just keep the bottle above the carbs.

I learn tricks like this from living out in the sticks and being Thrifty....:smiley_th

Although I like that Maint. Tank from J&P, I wouldn't pay that much for one. It just gives me the idea of adding a coat hanger and duct tape to my gear oil bottle....See, Thrifty!!

LOL

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, a semi-large bottle, a few feet of fuel line, a coat hanger (lol - I noticed that, too, Carl), and some duct tape? That's it? I think I can manage that...I might blow up the garage, but I can manage that. :smiley_th

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can I PLEASE watch when you go for your first ride around the block. LMAO

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Make sure to plug up the vacume line

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to see that too...
I'm sure there will be photo documentation. It may come in the form of a mug shot, but there will be pictures.

Hey, on plugging the vacuum line - hose over the nipple, golf tee in the end of the hose?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
golf tee. It may even look better if a golf ball was glued to the tee (might be too much weight).... just don't attempt to use a driver to get the ball on the green.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So now I picture this......Our fearless rider eases his way onto the road, hanger in mouth with a bottle full of gas sloshing around and into his lap creating a large stain on his jeans that only serves to accent the golf ball that seems to be suspended in a vacuum line between his legs........LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts