Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe part no. is 51023-1113.

I put a later model unit from a salvage yard on and it's fine, but I like the original one-piece intake better. I have to clean out and treat the tank, so I might as well put a new petcock in and have the good used in reserve.

I would be interested in a new or used 1986 version.

TIA

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
If you can't find one from a member here, best bet is Craigslist (might just find parts bikes there) or eBay

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Ron Ayers (http://www.ronayers.com) is a great source for parts. They are usually either the best price I have found, or right in the neighborhood. They also straightforward to deal with. The only thing I have found is that it may take them a few days to get you the parts. They have the petcock, however, the part number you have was superceded. The new pn is 51023-1379. Ron Ayers shows this at $62.67.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, y'all. Chris, is that a new number for the '86 petcock, or the number for the petcock they started putting on after that? If you don't know off-hand don't worry about it, I'll ask the folks at your link.

The '86 version had on, reserve, and prime while the later models had on, reserve, and off. Also, the '86 version had a one-piece plastic intake that fit securly into the petcock body...a setup I like a lot better than that on the later models I've installed. What I'd really like is an '86 version but with off instead of prime. (o;}

Thanks again!

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
The petcock from Ron ayers will be the "new" style petcock. From what I've been able to tell, the only thing that's available new is the single outlet new style petcock (one port for vacuum one for fuel). You'll need to find a used one somewhere... which may have the same issues you're old one was...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey Tygr- I have an '86 and a bag of a few spare parts. In that bag is a petcock marked Res, On and Pri. I assume that this is the original petcock. Don't know if it works, it is yours if you want it.
Cheman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Chris I am new to the Vulcan community...I got willed a 89 750 and it is kinda rough...it won't start I can't get any gas flow form the petcock. I see you guys mentioning the petcock quite often. I would like to get the bike running first before I get into the stator and other stuff...I had the petcock off when I cleaned the tank and there wasn't any fuel in it. Does the diaphram in the petcock allow fuel to be introduced to the carbs by the power of vacume from the line that goes to the front carb??????and can this line or valve in carb get clogged by the bike setting for a long time???????thanks Rick

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Hey Chris I am new to the Vulcan community...I got willed a 89 750 and it is kinda rough...it won't start I can't get any gas flow form the petcock. I see you guys mentioning the petcock quite often. I would like to get the bike running first before I get into the stator and other stuff...I had the petcock off when I cleaned the tank and there wasn't any fuel in it. Does the diaphram in the petcock allow fuel to be introduced to the carbs by the power of vacume from the line that goes to the front carb??????YESand can this line or valve in carb get clogged by the bike setting for a long time???????YESthanks Rick

there is a lot that can go wrong with the petcocks. on my 92 I had to replace the petcock due to varnish caused from sitting.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Hey Chris I am new to the Vulcan community...I got willed a 89 750 and it is kinda rough...it won't start I can't get any gas flow form the petcock. I see you guys mentioning the petcock quite often. I would like to get the bike running first before I get into the stator and other stuff...I had the petcock off when I cleaned the tank and there wasn't any fuel in it. Does the diaphram in the petcock allow fuel to be introduced to the carbs by the power of vacume from the line that goes to the front carb??????and can this line or valve in carb get clogged by the bike setting for a long time???????thanks Rick
Rick,

It is a vacuum fed system, and varnish can cause lots of trouble in the fuel system. You can check for fuel flow from the petcock by pulling the vacuum line from the carb. Then pull the fuel lines from the petcock, attach new lines to the petcock and direct them into a glass container. Provide your own vacuum on the line (a syringe or a hand held pump) and see if you are getting fuel from both lines. You can work backwards to the petcock and the tank, or forward into the carbs, depending on how things go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts