Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Texas Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The '94 bike is riding fine, but during driving sounds like a chain is rattling or something underneath, like something is loose and about to fall off but everything looks tight. It vibrates the foot pegs. Does not happen while revving the engine in neutral.

Have had the carb rebuilt a few years ago, new spark plugs last month, fluids all look level, new battery last year (MF)

Can't get a mechanic out to look in Austin!! Frustrated

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I had this problem, but with a slight lurching forward/ back while riding. It turned out to be worn out splines on the rear end of the driveshaft. Have you lubed your splines?

·
Texas Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not lubed the splines, had the rear wheel repacked with oil but I don't think that is the same thing. If the balance dampers failed or the splines are worn , is that hard to fix? I'm not to familiar with working on the bike so I'd have to pay someone. Time/parts? Thanks!!
trying to hold onto my bike as long as I can!

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I have not lubed the splines, had the rear wheel repacked with oil but I don't think that is the same thing. If the balance dampers failed or the splines are worn , is that hard to fix? I'm not to familiar with working on the bike so I'd have to pay someone. Time/parts? Thanks!!
trying to hold onto my bike as long as I can!

The splines require removal of the rear wheel and final drive. Since it makes no noise in neutral it's not the balance dampers.

·
Texas Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I guess I'd have to order new splines or look for them used but in good condition? I like to know a lot before I pay someone to come "look" :) thanks so much you guys are lifesavers on this site!

·
Cruisin' through my 50's
115 Posts
Could the sound be coming from some loose tools you're carrying? I carry some tools tightly wrapped in a fork bag up front. One day they came loose and I thought I had a big problem till I just took everything out of the bike bags and went for a test ride.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
so I guess I'd have to order new splines or look for them used but in good condition? I like to know a lot before I pay someone to come "look" :) thanks so much you guys are lifesavers on this site!
Do a search on this forum for "Fergy spline lube." It will link to a very nice write-up complete with lots of photos to give you a better idea of what's involved.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
If you need a replacement driveshaft, I've got one. But that would also mean you need a new final drive/"pumpkin", which I don't have. The driveshaft lube really isn't difficult with fergy's writeup/pictorial. Wear rubber gloves to keep your hands clean.

·
Texas Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice- Fergy lives right near me oddly enough!! wonder how I could talk him into a project :)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
First, mention free beer.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I checked the splines on her bike and they were in good shape. So I lubed them up good and put it back together. Greased the U-joint up good. Drained the oil and checked the screen, found a few tiny metal specks on it, along with old gasket material. I have to guess that no one has ever removed and cleaned her screen with that grey gasket material on it. She's always had her oil changed by a mechanic, not done herself. Filled it back up with new oil and took it for a ride. Ran great, and no noises. Then she took it for a ride and still no noise. Then I found her top rear engine mount bolt was sticking out about an inch on the right. Of course, the nut is gone! I'm guessing that's the jingling noise she was hearing. She's going to pick up a metric lock nut to replace it with. Hoping that's all it was, but at least now she doesn't have to worry about the splines anymore, and she's seen it done. Next time, she'll be ready to tear into it herself. :)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
A southern gentleman to the rescue of a lady in distress. My hat is off to you fergy.:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
A southern gentleman to the rescue of a lady in distress. My hat is off to you fergy.:smiley_th
Thanks Gordon, but I know you and a whole herd of folks here would have done the same thing in a heartbeat. I assured Melissa that it's all part of being a member here, one of the "fringe benefits"!

·
Texas Rider
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
project update... I was fortunate enough to meet Fergy on Sunday, he came over with tools and everything and spent all afternoon in my 95 degree garage (with a fan on) and I helped him lube the splines which are in great condition and we changed the oil, the screen looked good.
After that he notices a nut missing from the engine mount!! He test drove and didn't hear the noise so oddly enough the nut came all the way off somewhere in between which would make sense as to why we don't hear the rattling anymore!!

I am so grateful for this site and the chance to meet one of the super nice members and get some help! Now I can keep riding :) hopefully I'll get to pass on some knowledge somewhere down the line

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
You're a good man, fergy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts