Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, you have a great community here, thanks

Sorry if this happens to be stupid question.
I picked up a 94 750 about two weeks ago and absolutely love it. I had it in the shop for new tires and the mechanic said she was in real fine shape. I've got about 250 miles on it so far and the other day I noticed a faint buzzing or whirling sound coming from the area around the brake reservoir. The front brake is still nice and firm, there is enough fluid in the reservoir, and I can still make very prompt emergency stops. The strange thing is that the sound seams to go away at slower speeds. Say I'm at 50 mph and a lay on moderate and consistent brake, keeping even pressure on the brake I let the bike slow down and around 15 to 20 mph the sound appears it go away. There is no sound when I manipulate the brake with the bike at rest. It's not a loud sound but I noticed it while wearing a full face helmet. I can't say for sure exactly where the sound is coming from, just that it's coming from that general area. I do know that if I lay off the brakes, above 20mph, the sound goes away.

I know this doesn't make any sense. Could this be the sound of wind rushing over something in my brake lever? Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks for looking.
-Matt

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's the vent holes in the brake rotors interacting with the front brake pads, making the noise.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not a silly question at all. It's silly not to ask a question, when you can't figure something out. That is what this forum is all about.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
The only silly question is the one NOT asked.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Not a silly question at all. It's silly not to ask a question, when you can't figure something out. That is what this forum is all about.
The only silly question is the one NOT asked.
Yeah!! What they said!!! :smiley_th

Say you're sorry one more time and.... and.... we'll make you lube all the members splines!! LOL :doh:

We're all here to help each other. So even if ya do say sorry again, you'll probably get offers to help with the "Sorry Penalty" :beerchug:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about being Sorry :)
(kind of feel like I just got in an argument with "She who must be obeyed")

Anyway, thanks for the help.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Sorry about being Sorry :)
(kind of feel like I just got in an argument with "She who must be obeyed")

Anyway, thanks for the help.
So, have you lubed the final drive splines on your Vulcan?
It's an all too often overlooked maintenance item that most dealers never do. And if left unchecked, could lead to an expensive repair bill!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a matter of fact I have not. The maintenance record I got from the PO shows that the final gear oil was changed and the spline lubed on 4/07 which looks to have been just shy of 3000 miles ago. I know I shouldn't trust the maintenance record but I have been a bit reluctant to pull the back end apart. I guess I have to do it sooner or later so I might as well get it out of the way.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Sounds simple but check your neck covers and see if they are hooked togather. I left mine loose and they vibrated. The hum drove me nuts till I reached out and pushed on one of them and the noise disappeared.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts